To BIG 3 UPGRADE or NOT??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question To BIG 3 UPGRADE or NOT???

I have researched several sites and am considering the big 3 upgrade: increased cables sizes from batt (+) to alternator; batt (-) to chassis; chassis to engine block. I will probably do "chassis to frame" also.

I am considering this because it appears at one time the factory cable (+) on the passenger side went bad. A side post terminal was jury rigged to the battery terminal (coming from the drivers side battery) in addition to the existing factory cables that were already landed on the (+) post.

The side post terminal was drilled out to fit the batt. terminal. This terminal does not fit the batt post well and is somewhat loose. Also, the factory battery post terminal was over tightened and I feel it does not make a solid connection.

I am pretty much running stock with no over sized electrical loading, although I may put 190 amp alternator on when this one goes bad.

Has anyone done this upgrade to a PSD and is it worthwhile for pretty much a stock truck??? Thx

Last edited by shiprek; 11-28-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 05:55 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I know alot of people do it for high power stereo systems. My buddy has it done on his ranger. I have a 1500 watt amp in my truck and I don't have a problem running the stereo and snow plow so I doubt it does enough to suffice paying for the huge wire. Lol
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM

I just got done upgrading all my battery cables. My terminals were cracked and corroded and not making a great connection. And when i pulled the cab the second time the connector on the Pass positive terminal broke. and we just got it back together to get it running.

I was having issues with my voltage and decided it was time to get the crap out and start over.

I bought all new cables, terminals and lugs.

I ended up just extending the starter cable, its 3/0 gauge, about a foot because trying to route 3/0 gauge is PITA and the cable was already big as sh*t and in good condition.

The Negative cables come from the factory at 2/0 gauge. I didnt upgrade them, just replaced them with 2/0gauge wire, and one thing id did was cleaned up all body contacts.

The battery crossover cable is factory 1/0 gauge, and up graded that to 2/0 gauge.

I did have to cut into the factory alternator and fuse block wire to crimp on new lugs so they can attach to my new Military style battery terminals.

As far as upgrading the alternator, i built a 0gauge wire to piggy back the factory wire, and in that piggy back wire i put a 250amp fuse block (my alternator is 220amp unit from powerbastards.com).

All in all it was big task and time consuming task to get it done. Just remember to have the right tools to do the job right the first time and properly, (meaning cable crimper, large gauge wires are not fun to crimp. i have a 12ton hydraulic crimper to do the job, makes nice air tight crimps.)

But now that im done, im glad i did, for the piece of mind and expandability and knowing that everything is making a good solid connection.

Jason
Old 12-01-2011, 04:45 PM

I am still gathering the materials for this project. I was thinking of soldering the connectors but I noticed you crimped yours. Is there a reason you chose one method over another? I can borrow a hydraulic lug crimper from my Dad. Regards.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiprek View Post
I am still gathering the materials for this project. I was thinking of soldering the connectors but I noticed you crimped yours. Is there a reason you chose one method over another? I can borrow a hydraulic lug crimper from my Dad. Regards.
Every where i read said soldering isnt the best method. biggest thing of that was the the amount of heat it takes to heat up that thick of wire and then solder will go back in the wire creating a very hard wire instead of a flexable wire. also you need a some special solder with a flux coating.

I chose the crimping method because i had the hydraulic crimper and it created an air tight seal once the wire was in there and it a really strong connection. just be sure to use very high quality and temperature heat shrink tubing. that cheap sh*t wont work or hold up.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtcbmw View Post
Every where i read said soldering isnt the best method. biggest thing of that was the the amount of heat it takes to heat up that thick of wire and then solder will go back in the wire creating a very hard wire instead of a flexable wire. also you need a some special solder with a flux coating.

I chose the crimping method because i had the hydraulic crimper and it created an air tight seal once the wire was in there and it a really strong connection. just be sure to use very high quality and temperature heat shrink tubing. that cheap sh*t wont work or hold up.
jrtcbmw,
thx for the quick reply. I ordered a new alternator today and want to do the cable upgrade at the same time I do the replacement. I was looking at a marine grade heat shrink, lugs and cable from Genuinedealz.com Regards
Old 12-01-2011, 05:33 PM

i acutally ordered all my terminals and heat shrink tubing from Heavy Duty, Aftermarket, Custom Battery Cables for your Car, Truck or RV

that is also where i learned a lot about the crimping.

they are good prices and ships fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery cable, big 3 upgrade, bus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.