Why does my truck sound like a hair dryer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why does my truck sound like a hair dryer?

well i did the cat and muffler delete on my truck today. I watched some videos on youtube with trucks with stock exhaust with the delete like I did and they sound badass like a jet engine whistle at idle. mine doesnt sound like that, it sounds like a ****ty hair dryer. I think I have some sort of turbo issue, when i test drove this truck it would fall on its face and chug and blow black smoke abot 50-60 mph with WOT. The diesel tech couldnt find anything wrong with it and it hasnt done it since i bought it. I have been running it hard thinking the turbo was all gunked up. It feels strong but its like 90% power from what a 6.0 should be, I dont have a boost gauge yet but im thinking the turbo still isnt boosting 100%. It also has a black smoke haze when at WOT, anyone else have this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That's because you have a big hair drier sitting on top of your motor. It's called a turbo. Try cleaning out the EBP sensor tube. Before you ask it's the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor. Not sure on the 04 but on my 05 the tube comes off the #5 exhaust port on the exhaust manifold and runs back about mid way between #6 and #7 then turns up and connects to the EBP sensor. Take the sensor off, rod the tube, spray some carb cleaner through it and make sure it's clear. If the EBP sensor can't get and accurate read your boost won't build right. Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the ones that sound like crazy jets have the 10 blade '03 turbine
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM

another thing to check would be the how dirty the EGR valve is and check the IAT2 sensor in the intake. If all else fails clean the turbo. Since yours is a 04 your EBP sensor would be the same as my early 05. the EBP is located by the Thermostat housing and the tube running to the front of the exhaust manifold.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Check everything like said above. The if you have the early '04 with the '03 motor, and had your batteries disconnected for a period of time, you might want to try the VGT relearn.

Here is the procedure, compliments of Bismic.

KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure
1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)
2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)
3. Turn on the headlights
4. Disconnect both batteries
5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).
6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes
7. Turn off the headlights.
8. Re-connect batteries
9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".
10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.
11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:

15 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn"
its adaptive strategy. Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the
P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed. As for the Tow/Haul mode, the transmission
must re-learn your driving style and loads hauled again as this was cleared when the truck was
re-flashed.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 PM

That is awesome info. Is there a big book on tricks like that for our trucks?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
That is awesome info. Is there a big book on tricks like that for our trucks?
Yhea, it's called the Internet! LOL!!

Just messing with you! I find alot of the info from the various forums, and save them to my PC and print out copies to keep in my binder.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Yea i have an 06 and it sounds like a hair dryer too. Someone answer this for me if they can, i heard a 03 f250 with 4 inch cat back straight pipe and it sounded great, i didnt hear the hair dryer sound at all. Is it because he has 4 inch instead of stock.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM

this sounds stupid but do any of you guys have a pic of where that sensor is located?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0kansaspowerstroke View Post
this sounds stupid but do any of you guys have a pic of where that sensor is located?
'03-'04 is bracketed to the coolant thermostat housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.