need some advice about this truck! (might buy) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some advice about this truck! (might buy)

Ok guys so Im looking into a new truck to replace my 2007 cummins but dont want to get a basket case so I have a few questions for the pros!!

specs:
2006 f350 with 156K miles
6" rough country lift
37" tires, factory wheels
crew cab long bed (does have gooseneck)
every option, leather, sunroof etc...
stock as far as I know

Ive never driven a 6.0 but it seemed like you had to push the pedal a little bit before the truck ever started to move, is that normal for this style truck? I know every truck drives different so it might be a stupid question but doesnt seem right. That being said in drive with your foot off the brake it idles at a crawl just fine.

It seemed like the truck ran kind of sluggish...jumpy until temp was reached.

It also seemed like no matter how hard you pushed the pedal the rpms were always about 3k...Normal? I guess the 6.0 like the the RPMs?

What kind of fuel milage can I expect out of this truck?

I mostly use it as a daily driver and to tow my 20' car hauler loaded.

The problem im having is Im a little upside down on my current 1/2 ton so im using it as a trade in so I will have to keep this truck for a good long while and dont want to get in over my head with repair bills and terriable milage. I never planned on owning a 6.0 but its such a nice truck I have to keep it in my options!

Sorry for the long post and please give me your thoughts guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Doesn't sound right. My suggestion is to go test drive another one. Just to see what it drives like. My truck never sees 3k barely 2200 even getting on the interstate. I'm assuming you were just driving normal? Or we're you jumpin on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 11-24-2011, 10:23 AM
information regurgitator

That truck has issues. 3K rpm? Way too high for normal cruising.
Running sluggish? Something isn't right here too. From a dead stop, if you take your foot of the brake, and hammer the throttle to the floor, you should barely be able to say 1-2-3 and it should push you back into the seat. If it isn't something is wrong.
I would find another truck to look at.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
[QUOTE=NYC F-350;2771484 From a dead stop, if you take your foot of the brake, and hammer the throttle to the floor, you should barely be able to say 1-2-3 and it should push you back into the seat. If it isn't something is wrong.
I would find another truck to look at.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this one, definitely something is wrong with that truck, if you punch it from a dead stop, if that turbo doesnt lite, after like 3 seconds, you've got some could be serious problems

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It just seemed like the truck was working to push the 37"s.
It seemed like it wouldn't shift until around 2600-3000rpm giving it 'normal' throttle to get up to speed.

I'm thinking walk away because with a trailer on it it would seem like its work VERY hard!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:06 AM
information regurgitator

The engine has something wrong that needs to be addressed if it is running like that. The 6.0 runs like a scalded cat when everything is the way it is supposed to be, and pulls effortlessly.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have to disagree here. The 6.0 in stock tune is not terribly impressive. It does seem sluggish, (especially if it is still sporting 3.73's with 37's) takes considerable pedal input to get it going, and it is quite common for it to go past 3k before shifting.

I hate a short shifting strategy and have been trying to work that out with Matt Robinson's SRL tune for years. It won't go over 2500 without shifting unless you are damn near WOT. Compare that to almost any other Tuner's trans tune and his tunes shift way early before the engine even gets into its power band. It drives me crazy.

Kyle, you really need to take a monitoring device like an Edge Insight or a ScangaugeII that you can plug into the OBDII port and look at what is going on as you take it for a good test drive. From you description of its cold behavior it could have a FICM that is going bad or a case of injector stiction. You want to know these things befor you commit to buy the truck. Also that the coolant temp and oil temp are withing 15* of each other when fully warmed up and cruising empty at 65mph. Temp delta of 15* or more means the oil cooler is clogging up and needs to be replaced. Again, you don't want to find these things out after you bought the truck.

As for how much pedal travel you need to get the truck moving, it is a drive by wire. That parameter is completely programmable with a custom tune. You barely have to touch my throttle pedal and my truck responds immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.