EGT/EOT/ECT Questions on what works to lower them! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT/EOT/ECT Questions on what works to lower them!

I am think about getting 6.0 but after researching the problems with the 6.0 has, I come to the conclusion that the best fix to this engine is to keep the EGT,ECT,EOT down.

Their are some aftermarket oil coolers out their that seem to work to an extent. But they all seem to have a negative side affect to their design.

After reading a bunch of threads I have never heard of anyone suggesting to try the following ways to decrease all the temps.

1. Put a bigger exhaust on and delete the cat or gut it. An exhaust that is 4 or 5 inchs will give you at least a 25% lower EGT temps. Which if the EGT are lower the EOT temps should go down a long with the ECT because the engine is able to get rid of that much more heat.
2. Put a High Flow oil cooler in. I have read that the high flow oil cooler will have higher EOT temps. But If you use a biger exhaust which lowers your EGT temps at least 25% then the EOT and ECT should be right where they need to be which is the 15 delta range.

This is what I was thinking on doing to help keep all the temps down.

1. Put a exhaust of at least 4 or 5 inchs on and deleting the cat.
2. Delete the EGR cooler to prevent the problems that come with having one.
3. Put a High Flow oil cooler in to prevent the problems that come with an Oem oil cooler.
4. Some say a coolant filter will help but, if you do a good coolant flush and put some EC-1 coolant in you should not need a filter because all the gunk should be pretty much flushed out. Plus the High flow oil cooler will not clogged if any was not flushed out during the flushing process.
5. Get something to monitor what the engine temps are at.
6. Get a new fuel pressure regulator spring.

So what do all you think about what I said about keeping all the temps down.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well 4" or 5" exhausts that are straight piped are pretty common to the 6.0. EGT's are not usually an issue unless you run a really hot tune. I have larger injectors and bigger turbo and while my EGT's are hotter than stock still nothing that is damaging to the engine. Yeah, it is 4" straight piped into duals.

EGR deletes are advised if you live in an area that doesn't have emissions. The real problem starts with the coolant the the oil cooler which shows up when the EGR cooler ruptures. The OEM oil cooler is really a pretty decent design once you take the EGR system out of the picture and run a EC-1 rated coolant. There is a higher flow unit made to replace the stock oil cooler but it is a POS and flows to fast to do the heat transfer. There is no down side to the Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler other than the cost. It is worth every penny but it is not inexpensive. Stay with the oem if you can't swing the BPD setup. The 15* delta is not as important if the EGR is deleted, it just lets you know that you will need to be addressing a clogging oil cooler soon.

Monitoring is absolutely essential and and Edge Insight CS/CTS is a great way to do that. You need the optional EGT probe, and can add Fuel Pressure with the EAS setup.

The thermostat is set to start opening at 192* and fully open at 219*. Your coolant temps should be a minimum of 192* and in hot weather may drift into the low 200*'s. this is not a problem for a diesel and they are quite happy to run there. In fact you fuel mileage will probably improve due to the increased efficiency. You don't want it running cooler than this, it's not good for the engine.

The blue FPR spring is a good idea but you still need to monitor fuel pressure. Too low you kill injectors, too high you blow the o-rings. 55psi to 70psi is a good range. You want to stay above 45 and below 80.

A bypass coolant filter is still a good idea even with ELC coolant. A bypass oil cooler is a good idea for your injectors and the rest of the motor. Use of a synthetic 5w40 will make your engine and injectors happy and keep them healthy assuming you change oil every 6k-7k miles and use Motorcraft or Racor filters. Change fuel filters every other oil change. Change the Trans fluid and filters every 30k with Mercon LV or a synthetic equivalent.

Theses things should keep your truck happy. Oh yeah, if you decide to tune it an SCT tuner with custom tunes is the only way to go.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Well 4" or 5" exhausts that are straight piped are pretty common to the 6.0. EGT's are not usually an issue unless you run a really hot tune. I have larger injectors and bigger turbo and while my EGT's are hotter than stock still nothing that is damaging to the engine. Yeah, it is 4" straight piped into duals.

EGR deletes are advised if you live in an area that doesn't have emissions. The real problem starts with the coolant the the oil cooler which shows up when the EGR cooler ruptures. The OEM oil cooler is really a pretty decent design once you take the EGR system out of the picture and run a EC-1 rated coolant. There is a higher flow unit made to replace the stock oil cooler but it is a POS and flows to fast to do the heat transfer. There is no down side to the Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler other than the cost. It is worth every penny but it is not inexpensive. Stay with the oem if you can't swing the BPD setup. The 15* delta is not as important if the EGR is deleted, it just lets you know that you will need to be addressing a clogging oil cooler soon.

Monitoring is absolutely essential and and Edge Insight CS/CTS is a great way to do that. You need the optional EGT probe, and can add Fuel Pressure with the EAS setup.

The thermostat is set to start opening at 192* and fully open at 219*. Your coolant temps should be a minimum of 192* and in hot weather may drift into the low 200*'s. this is not a problem for a diesel and they are quite happy to run there. In fact you fuel mileage will probably improve due to the increased efficiency. You don't want it running cooler than this, it's not good for the engine.

The blue FPR spring is a good idea but you still need to monitor fuel pressure. Too low you kill injectors, too high you blow the o-rings. 55psi to 70psi is a good range. You want to stay above 45 and below 80.

A bypass coolant filter is still a good idea even with ELC coolant. A bypass oil cooler is a good idea for your injectors and the rest of the motor. Use of a synthetic 5w40 will make your engine and injectors happy and keep them healthy assuming you change oil every 6k-7k miles and use Motorcraft or Racor filters. Change fuel filters every other oil change. Change the Trans fluid and filters every 30k with Mercon LV or a synthetic equivalent.

Theses things should keep your truck happy. Oh yeah, if you decide to tune it an SCT tuner with custom tunes is the only way to go.
Will a larger exhaust help keep the EOT/ECT temps down since the engine is able to get rid of that much more heat threw the exhaust, which will also pull the heat out of the engine from that result.

The only reason why I am hesitate about putting a oem oil cooler back in is they always seem to clog back up even when people have done the flush and switched to ec-1 coolant and put a coolant filter on. But again that could be because the flush was never done very well so the flush never got the majority of the gunk out of the cooling system.

I like the bpd oil cooler but the price is what is high. I guess that could be a item that I would just have to save a few weeks for. I have heard that the bpd oil cooler raises the ac temps a lot. So that was the draw back of the bpd oil cooler.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The BPD condensor mounted oil cooler doesn't affect the AC at all. Yes meticulous work is required when flushing the cooling system. If done right the oem setup is pretty reliable. I still sleep better with my BPD.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhopp View Post
Will a larger exhaust help keep the EOT/ECT temps down since the engine is able to get rid of that much more heat threw the exhaust, which will also pull the heat out of the engine from that result.

The only reason why I am hesitate about putting a oem oil cooler back in is they always seem to clog back up even when people have done the flush and switched to ec-1 coolant and put a coolant filter on. But again that could be because the flush was never done very well so the flush never got the majority of the gunk out of the cooling system.

I like the bpd oil cooler but the price is what is high. I guess that could be a item that I would just have to save a few weeks for. I have heard that the bpd oil cooler raises the ac temps a lot. So that was the draw back of the bpd oil cooler.
Your ECT temp is regulated by the thermostat. It won't move even if you run wide open exhaust. The oil temp is partially dependent on the coolant temp, since the oil will never be colder than the coolant (unless you get the BPD system). Exhaust size will have little to no effect whatsoever.

The chemicals used in the two chemical flushes work a heck of alot better when heated to standard operating temps of this engine (190F give or take a few). If the flush is done with colder temps, and the flushing is rushed in any way, you do not get a very good flush. It is like many things in life, you get back what you put into it.

The BPD oil cooler has zero effect on the AC system, or at least it has not on my AC system. There is also a member here that tows quite often in the summer heat of Arizona with that system, and has no AC issues.
I have yet to see any drawback to running the bulletproof oil cooling system.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Your ECT temp is regulated by the thermostat. It won't move even if you run wide open exhaust. The oil temp is partially dependent on the coolant temp, since the oil will never be colder than the coolant (unless you get the BPD system). Exhaust size will have little to no effect whatsoever.

The chemicals used in the two chemical flushes work a heck of alot better when heated to standard operating temps of this engine (190F give or take a few). If the flush is done with colder temps, and the flushing is rushed in any way, you do not get a very good flush. It is like many things in life, you get back what you put into it.

The BPD oil cooler has zero effect on the AC system, or at least it has not on my AC system. There is also a member here that tows quite often in the summer heat of Arizona with that system, and has no AC issues.
I have yet to see any drawback to running the bulletproof oil cooling system.
But with a bigger exhaust your engine is able to get rid of that much more heat. So wouldn't that affect the eot temps and the ect temps then, because how much easier the engine is able to get rid of the heat. A bigger exhaust will also lower your egt temps up to 25% so that should also help with keeping the other temps down. On the forum powerstroke nation is where I read that the bpd cooler affected ac temps. Their was a guy in Arizona that had one and he said his ac temps wouldn't get colder then about 60 degrees when he had the bpd cooler. I also read other guys that stated the same thing. But I will say I like the bpd cooler the best, but if it affects the ac temps I would lead to getting an oem or the high flow cooler.

Here is a question has anybody used the bpd cooler and tryed to put a heat shield in between the cooler and the ac condensor to prevent the cooler from heating up the condensor. That should solve any problems heating up the ac condensor and affecting the ac temps.

Last edited by ljhopp; 11-24-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Long Member

'Heat shield?' Great idea... Block the air flow through the cooler, that will affect your EOT for sure

sent from iPhone using Autoguide App
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
But with a bigger exhaust your engine is able to get rid of that much more heat. So wouldn't that affect the eot temps and the ect temps then, because how much easier the engine is able to get rid of the heat. A bigger exhaust will also lower your egt temps up to 25% so that should also help with keeping the other temps down.
You still have a thermostat in the engine cooling system that does not begin to open until 190F (or thereabout) and THAT will regulate the coolant temp. It would not matter if you had straight 12 inch headers sticking up through the hood, your coolant temp will still be the same.
The oil temp is dependent on the coolant temp, since the oil cooler is a liquid/liquid style cooler. One half has coolant flowing through it and the other half has oil flowing through it, Engine load, high coolant temps and plugged coolant passages within the oil cooler will result in higher oil temps. Again, no size of exhaust will help this.
Quote:
On the forum powerstroke nation is where I read that the bpd cooler affected ac temps. Their was a guy in Arizona that had one and he said his ac temps wouldn't get colder then about 60 degrees when he had the bpd cooler. I also read other guys that stated the same thing. But I will say I like the bpd cooler the best, but if it affects the ac temps I would lead to getting an oem or the high flow cooler.
Go back and ask them when they bought the system, and if it was a condensor mount or a bumper mount. The bumper mounts (which are no longer manufactured) had some reports of having an effect on the AC system. Their problem can easily be solved (and it stated this very thing in the installation directions they got with the system) by overcharging the AC system with 10 ounces of refrigerant.

If you buy that piece of JUNK "high flow oil cooler," you will have some heat issues to deal with. The way they achieved "high flow" was removing a few coolant passages and a few oil passages in the stock oil cooler design. What that does is SERIOUSLY hamper heat transfer between the two fluids. Your oil temps can get hot enough that the PCM will actually defuel the engine in an attempt to keep you from melting it down.

Quote:
Here is a question has anybody used the bpd cooler and tryed to put a heat shield in between the cooler and the ac condensor to prevent the cooler from heating up the condensor. That should solve any problems heating up the ac condensor and affecting the ac temps.
Wow..I can't believe that.
Placing a "heat shield" between the BPD oil cooler and the condensor is like riveting a big piece of flat metal in front of your radiator.
What do you think will happen? Not only will your AC system NOT work at all, your oil temps would be through the roof and your coolant temp would be through the roof as well. (since both of those components are in front of the radiator)
Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAG6.0 View Post
'Heat shield?' Great idea... Block the air flow through the cooler, that will affect your EOT for sure

sent from iPhone using Autoguide App
Yes you are right a heat shield in front of cooler and inbetween the condensor will block air flow to the cooler. But if you put the cooler in front of the condensor the idea might work. I was only throwing out ideas no need to get upset. I only said put a heat shield in between the two to prevent the heat from cooler geting to the condensor. I after I thought about it that would be a very bad idea. I am not saying I no everything I am just asking a lot of questions about certain things. Thanks for schooling on my questions!!

Last edited by ljhopp; 11-24-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 PM
information regurgitator

The whole "bigger exhaust" would only remove so much heat. There would still be plenty of heat that can not be "vented" by the exhaust system. The heat from the combustion is absorbed by the engine components. One thing to be aware of is that diesel engines run more efficient at hotter temperatures. Removing too much heat from them is generally a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.