Bad coolant/oil temp #s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad coolant/oil temp #s

I hooked up my new insight CTS and I'm doing a road test. ECT 184 and EOT 230.

1. Is my coolant thermostat bad, bc it's holding steady at 184?

2. At what EOT should I shut it down? At what EOT should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Your coolant and oil temps should vary no more than 15 degrees when at operational temps. Sounds like your oil cooler is clogged and should be addressed pretty quickly. I believe your thermostat should begin to open around 192. I am sure others will chime in shortly with better explainations...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah when we use the IDS computer coolant temp should be over 190 and oil temp should be no more than 15 degree variance.

Replace your thermostat but from the specs you give you should do a flush and a new cooler.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotbody View Post
you should do a flush and a new cooler.
in that order,flush, then change out the oil cooler. There's a few threads I've been glued to here lately about this. I'm in the middle of my own delema now too..I'd also after it's all back together, ad a coolant filter. Most people say it's the best thing they've done to their truck. I'm putting one on tomorrow. Good luck. There's a few other people on here, namely NYC250 and svtgreen and others, that are pretty well versed in this. The other recomendation I can offer would be after it's all back in 1 piece, use elc coolant rather and the ford gold.

I feel kinda like the pot calling the kettle black...

but, the ford gold has a mild silicate, as you'll find through a search, and the elc doesnt use silicates, and some have done away with nitrates and phosphates as well. The silicates break down over the the high heat of the egr cooler, and wind up causing problems like your clogged oil cooler, and mine.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sorry, and to answer your question, oil pretty much totally breaks down around 300 degrees, depending slightlly on a few factors (regular, synthetic, age, contamination)... but you dont want to be any where near 300*, like anything much higher than 240-250 would make me pretty nervous (read - shut it down now, or better yet, try to park it and let it idle and see if the temps come down before you totally kill it, bad for turbo, and lots of other parts) There's websites like 'bob is the oil guy' which has lots of good information on it, but ideal oil temp is generally between 180 and 210 depending on who you talk to, and what you're doing with it. Oil breaking down, with the oil fired injectors in these trucks is dangerous.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I got the truck home safely and I don't plan on taking it out until its fixed. EOT got up to 235 on the ride. ECT stayed right around 185 so I know that thing is bad. After the holiday I'll grab a new thermostat.

I had a feeling I would be needing a new oil cooler. I ordered one yesterday so hopefully its here within a week or so. I guess its time to do some flushing this weekend. What type/brand of fluid is good to use for the flush? Thanks again all.

-Ryan
Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Also, I did let it idle in the driveway before I shut her down. Temp dropped to 209 after about ten minutes.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Truck defuels at 253 iirc. As said do the chemical flush. Drive the truck for a week so any loose stuff gets caught do the coolers and put in a filter with an elc
Old 11-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Agreed, the thermostat is bad and your ECT is too low. Your oil cooler and egr coolers need to be replaced ASAP. Deleting the EGR would be better if you can where you live. If not a Bulletproof Diesel egr cooler is worth the investment.

Before changing coolers flush the cooling system with Restore and either Restore Plus or VC-9 cleaners and then thoroughly rinse clean with distilled water. Refill with a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant after you change the coolers.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 AM

I'm headed to the Cummins store to grab some Restore and Restore Plus. I picked up a new thermostat from AutoZone this morning. I'm not sure if its the right part. It's made by Fail-Safe and didn't come with a housing or o-ring.

Then its off to the store to pick up 34 gallons of distilled water. Hope it will all fit in my wife's Equinox. Ha!

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.