Camshaft sensor and no start question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Camshaft sensor and no start question

Just changed the CMP sensor in a buddies 03 stroker due to the motor cutting out or missing causing it to die. It never threw any camshaft codes but figured the symptoms pointed toward CMP sensor. New sensor is installed but now the truck will not start. Truck turns over but will not fire. Now I am wondering if the original prob was in the wiring from the original CMP to PCM and not the acutal sensor. Is there any way to check the wiring for continuity or proper voltage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Easiest way to tell is to monitor data. You will be looking for the PID "FICM sync" If this changes from no to yes then the cam and crank sensors are working fine.

I've only replace one or 2 cam sensors in these trucks. They don't have nearly the same issues that the 7.3 had. Not saying it's not an issue, but they will usually throw codes for it.

You getting any codes now? Did you make sure the sensor is pushed in all the way?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Easiest way to tell is to monitor data. You will be looking for the PID "FICM sync" If this changes from no to yes then the cam and crank sensors are working fine.

I've only replace one or 2 cam sensors in these trucks. They don't have nearly the same issues that the 7.3 had. Not saying it's not an issue, but they will usually throw codes for it.

You getting any codes now? Did you make sure the sensor is pushed in all the way?
Sensor is all the way in and harness clicked in place. Nothing was removed to touched except the sensor and harness. The only montering device i have is an edge insight and it only reads FICM volts (which is 48). Not thowing any codes at all. Should the old CMP sensor be covered in oil or would that be an indication the oring failed?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Possibly an indication that the o-ring failed. Was in oily inside the actual connector? You can ohm out the old cam sensor and see if it was actually working. I don't remember the exact ohm reading but if you get an infinite reading then it's definitely bad.

It should have logged a cam sensor code if that was the issue and you've cranked on it long enough.

What's FICM voltage at? What is ICP pressure at while cranking? Pull up RPM's and see if it's reading any RPM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM

also, I got the 8mm bolt snugged tight so I am sure the sensor is seated all the way......
Old 11-23-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Possibly an indication that the o-ring failed. Was in oily inside the actual connector? You can ohm out the old cam sensor and see if it was actually working. I don't remember the exact ohm reading but if you get an infinite reading then it's definitely bad.

It should have logged a cam sensor code if that was the issue and you've cranked on it long enough.

What's FICM voltage at? What is ICP pressure at while cranking? Pull up RPM's and see if it's reading any RPM.
FICM voltage while cranking is 48.5. My Insight only displayes ICP voltage and with the key on showed .1 and while cranking varied from 2.0 to 2.3. I cranked for 15 seconds and only code that shows is P1000 so I know the computer is trying to run test on all sensors. Not for sure what you mean when you ask about RPMs
Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you ran down Bismic's list.
Troubleshooting a No-Start condition

Since its an '03, my first guess would be ICP sensor leak and/or ICP wiring. Second guess would be IPR.

But without a scan tool, we're all guessing.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I was saying to try and pull up engine rpm on the insight and see if it's showing rpm's. If so, then the PCM "should" be seeing cam and crank sensor readings. But I've noticed that if the cam sensor is not reading the crank sensor will still relay rpm to the PCM but it still won't let it fire.

So, in other words see if you can at least monitor rpm thru the insight.

A reading of 2.0 volts ICP pressure should be enough to run. KOEO ICP sensor voltage is .24, which equals 0 ICP pressure. .84 volts ICP pressure is 500 psi. So if you are reaching a reading of 2.0 volts then you are well above 500 psi ICP pressure and ICP pressure shouldn't be an issue, unless you have a severely biased ICP sensor which I doubt.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Have you ran down Bismic's list.
Troubleshooting a No-Start condition

Since its an '03, my first guess would be ICP sensor leak and/or ICP wiring. Second guess would be IPR.

But without a scan tool, we're all guessing.
i will check most of that. But the truck had no starting issues until I changed the CMP sensor. Now it just cranks but no fire. Does not even try to fire. So unless it was a crazy chance the ICP or IPR went bad at this exact moment I pretty sure it has to be related to the CMP or wiring.

That is an excellent no start list with a ton of info though!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I was saying to try and pull up engine rpm on the insight and see if it's showing rpm's. If so, then the PCM "should" be seeing cam and crank sensor readings. But I've noticed that if the cam sensor is not reading the crank sensor will still relay rpm to the PCM but it still won't let it fire.

So, in other words see if you can at least monitor rpm thru the insight.

A reading of 2.0 volts ICP pressure should be enough to run. KOEO ICP sensor voltage is .24, which equals 0 ICP pressure. .84 volts ICP pressure is 500 psi. So if you are reaching a reading of 2.0 volts then you are well above 500 psi ICP pressure and ICP pressure shouldn't be an issue, unless you have a severely biased ICP sensor which I doubt.
Reading 140 - 160 RPM while cranking. That seems low but I have never monitered RPM while cranking....

Also, Batteries are now weak and on a charger. Batteries showing around 12.1 volts so not sure if that would slow the cranking down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.