big project this weekend...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
big project this weekend...?

I am getting ready to do the EGR delete and oil cooler replacement. Is there any special tools required or anything special needed to remove the items that need to come off? Turbo?
Any suggestions for tools that we might need? I have basic sockets, wrenches, basic tools?

Thanks for the help I just want to make sure I am preparred for the job.

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
information regurgitator

A good quality, calibrated torque wrench.
Other than that, it is fairly straight forward, just time consuming your first time in.
I used the wrenches that was an open end wrench on one end, and a ratcheting style on the other end. Quite helpful at times.
You will need a good selection of extensions of varying lengths and a universal or two will come in handy as well.
Cleaning supplies will be needed (lots of it and LOTS of rags), and I recommend that you try to get the truck to a self-serve car wash with the engine as cold as possible. Use that to carefully blast the mounds of crap off the intake manifold to head connections. You don't want that garbage falling into the intake ports of the head.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did my '04 last year, over Christmas break (freaking Cold). The only thing I can suggest is if you are replacing the RS up-pipe with one without a cut out, remove the entire up-pipe assembly off the engine, removing the manifold bolts on the LS can be a PIA, it's tight in there. Examine the bellows on the up-pipe assembly carefully for leaks, and install your replacement pipe on the bench, those bolts were SUPER-TIGHT. Replace all bolts with new, I just went to ACE and got grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts. Also while it is out, clean your turbo and replace the screen in your HPOP sump with the new stainless replacement.

Follow info here for the turbo:
DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning

Good luck, hopefully, you are flushing your cooling system with RESTORE and changing to a CAT rated EC-1 ELC coolant, just remember to flush FIRST so you don't bugger your new oil cooler. Take your time, check torque settings on that intake at least 4 times till it settles, it's a big piece of aluminum! Watch your FICM connector plugs, they are easily bent. If you have any further questions, PM or POST, my truck came out perfect.

John

Last edited by DELTAJOHN; 11-23-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 AM
Premium Member

NYC F-350 Thanks for all the help getting prepared for this project, you have answered all of my questions on getting ready and for all your suggestions and write-ups.

DeltaJohn Thanks for those suggestions and I will post or pm if I have any problems during the project.

Also I flushed the cooling system real well following the directions and posts from this forum about a year ago and I have been running ELC coolant and a dieselsite coolant filter for that year and I have replaced the filters about 3-4 times. Should I flush the system again or will it be ok since I already have and have been running ELC?

Thanks,

Will
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 AM
information regurgitator

Beats me how he got the y-pipe back in the truck with a delete up-pipe attached. I had a bit of a time just getting the new y-pipe in there without it.
Leave the nylocks out. The exhaust heat will just melt the plastic that is in them. I suggest using exhaust bolts, since the nut is knurled and will grab the metal as you tighten.
You should be ok with your coolant. Just drain the system into a clean container and look it over. Should be clean.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Beats me how he got the y-pipe back in the truck with a delete up-pipe attached. I had a bit of a time just getting the new y-pipe in there without it.
Leave the nylocks out. The exhaust heat will just melt the plastic that is in them. I suggest using exhaust bolts, since the nut is knurled and will grab the metal as you tighten.
You should be ok with your coolant. Just drain the system into a clean container and look it over. Should be clean.
Piece of cake on my '04, truly no issue coming out or in. (but I've been wrenching 39 years, and seen most everything) I couldn't imagine trying to split that RS up pipe on the engine, you can't even see lower bolt, and mine were MFT!

And my nylock nuts still look fine on the manifolds, with 12K on them, they didn't melt and dribble out, I thought they would too, but they didn't. When I bought them they didn't have any Morlock nuts in stock, and I wasn't going to run around any more to find them!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 AM
information regurgitator

Hmmmm, must be completely different on the 06. The connection is right there on the left side of the engine for the y-pipe to the egr delete pipe. Easy to get to.
The manifold bolts suck to get to on either side. Long extensions, a few swear words and twisting in ways I didn't think I could worked out great.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
PB blaster works wonders on those things. You would think with trucks as big as they are there would be more room to work. I know on my 07, when I put the new bellows in, I put it back in in pieces with the turbo out and tightened it up. Well, everything except the manifold connections until the turbo was situated.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:18 PM

You need torx for removing the oil filter housing. 8, 10, 11, mm ratchet wrenches are a big help especially the flex end ones. Put zip ties around each fuel line far enough down to get them disconnected but not allow the, for lack of a better word, 'nut things' to fall down the lines. Get an extendable magnet too. It will work good for retrieving stuff that falls under the turbo and pedastal. A friend to help is awesome too, maybe even another to get you tools while you are laying/sitting somewhere in the engine compartment. Long extensions to get to the up-pipe bolts from underneath. Serpentine belt tool is great for getting the belt back on. Cutting off each of the little tits that fall into the notches on the front pedestal mounts of the turbo really to line back up with each bolt hole and y-pipe, if it's an 03 turbo (don't know if your truck is an early 04). That's pretty much everything that I can think of that will help out a lot. Good luck.

Last edited by ars5147; 11-25-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Hmmmm, must be completely different on the 06. The connection is right there on the left side of the engine for the y-pipe to the egr delete pipe. Easy to get to.
The manifold bolts suck to get to on either side. Long extensions, a few swear words and twisting in ways I didn't think I could worked out great.
The LS manifold connection does definitely SUCK, very difficult to hold, seeing I was working by myself it would have been nice having someone hold the bolt head from above. I was almost tempted to weld tabs on the bolt heads to keep them from turning on assembly, therefore not needing to hold them with a wrench.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.