New to diesels. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels.

I just traded myself into a '07 F350 6.0L 4x4 w/ 88k. My father is a tech at a GM dealership, has been most of my life, and has been giving me some grief since I told him.

I'm still re-learning how to drive larger vehicles. My last two were an '08 Audi TT and a '05 MINI Cooper S. Needless to say that parking the last couple of days has been a trip, and I do a lot more walking now. I needed a better parts hauler, the TT just wasn't working out, and eventually a Jeep hauler for my '93 wrangler.
I've spent the last couple days cruising through this forum trying to learn more about these trucks, and hit these two threads (among others):
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
There is a lot of information to digest in those two alone, and I haven't made it through all of the replies to them yet.

I think I might have gotten most of the speed out of my system with the TT and the Cooper S. My current plans, as usual subject to change, is to make the truck a dependable DD and play with the jeep.

I do have a couple of questions right off the bat:

1)I got a Viper alarm with remote start, but the installer said there was no wait to start circuit. I don't know enough to say one way or the other, but to allow for the glow plugs, he set the alarm to have a 30 sec delay from ignition on to engine start. Is this long enough for those colder mornings? If there is a wait to start circuit, I'm more than willing to make it right myself or take it back and let the installer fix it.

2)Apart from the wheels, that I haven't decided if I like or hate, this truck looks stock. Is there a way to determine if the programming is still stock? Or what's in it if it isn't?

3)I have already picked up Purolater oil and fuel filters. I've always been taught that a new used vehicle gets fluids, filters, and tune-up first thing, including axle and transfer case fluid. I've since read that the oil filter should be a Motorcraft filter. Do the fuel filters also need to be motorcraft also? What about trans filters? BTW, which trans filters do I need? There was some confusion at the local Autozone.

I have some more questions, but I believe I can answer most of them with further reading.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 06:19 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Cool truck and welcome!

1)I got a Viper alarm with remote start, but the installer said there was no wait to start circuit. I don't know enough to say one way or the other, but to allow for the glow plugs, he set the alarm to have a 30 sec delay from ignition on to engine start. Is this long enough for those colder mornings? If there is a wait to start circuit, I'm more than willing to make it right myself or take it back and let the installer fix it.
30 seconds will work! Also, if you are plugged in you are really all good! The wait to start light is dummy - not really connected to the glow plugs

2)Apart from the wheels, that I haven't decided if I like or hate, this truck looks stock. Is there a way to determine if the programming is still stock? Or what's in it if it isn't?
I dont like the wheels. I think this would look great with some stock 17s with some 35" tires and a leveling kit. More than likely you are bone stock. I would even bet the dealer might have flashed it.

3)I have already picked up Purolater oil and fuel filters. I've always been taught that a new used vehicle gets fluids, filters, and tune-up first thing, including axle and transfer case fluid. I've since read that the oil filter should be a Motorcraft filter. Do the fuel filters also need to be motorcraft also? What about trans filters? BTW, which trans filters do I need? There was some confusion at the local Autozone.
Rule of thumb, all Ford or Racor filters. Take the ones you bought back and go to deiselfiltersonline.com You can get ALL filters there
For the fluids, 6.0 loves synthetic 5/40, trans uses LV for SP fluid only, transfer case will take whatever syn ATF.

I love white trucks. Go up in the air a bit, bigger tires, and make everything that isnt white either black or chrome - cant go wrong!!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Congrats, great looking truck!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 AM

I worked at a GM dealership for years and drove a ford the whole time! But like the above post said make sure you use ford filters with this truck. Also agree on the synthetic oil. The truck loves it. Get some gauges to monitor everything, keep up on the maintenance and it will make you a great truck.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 AM

I second dieselfiltersonline.com get the racor filters for a fraction of the price of the what the dealer rips you off for. Nice truck!!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the comments!

I took the Purolater filters back and found out that Advance Auto carries Motorcraft filters, so I just got them from Advance and picked up a Super Duty Haynes while I was there.

I just checked out Dieselfilters.com, and man! They have awesome prices! My next filters will come from them.

Galaxie: I have some plans for this truck but nothing major. My jeep is the toy and waiting of a pair of D44's to come back from the welder. And now that I have something to tow it, I can get more creative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.