New to the forum and need your Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the forum and need your Help

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and just want to start off by saying. WOW there is A LOT of helpful stuff on here. While I'm currently not in a diesel I've been looking around for quiet some time trying to find one that fits my limited budget but one that wont break the bank in repairs. I'm pretty well acquainted with the 6.0l as my dad unfortunately has the 04 (but has done most everything you can to it besides head studs). I have a local dealer here that is trying to set me up with one of his trucks and its everything I want, crew cab short bed with a slight lift and exhaust. My only concern is the amount of mileage on the truck in such a short amount of years (not too big of a concern but still sits in the back of my mind). My other concern is that while it is the 05 6.0l and the problems were suppose to be "fixed" in 05, I still read a lot of you guys putting in the EGR delete on them. My question to you is, since I am on a limited budget, if I bought this truck would I too NEED to put in the EGR delete or would I be fine running it how it is? I don't plan on putting any tuners on until I have enough money to do the delete later and get new head studs and the other work associated to prevent blown gaskets and all of those other fun things. Heres a link to his ad. The truck comes with a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty included in the price. I know there isn't much in the ad but it just kind of gives you some idea of what the truck is. Its mostly stock besides the lift and exhaust. And as far as i know it has no chip nor does it have the EGR delete in place. PLEASE give me any and all input you guys have as it is GREATLY appreciated. I just don't want to make a bad buy for my first diesel truck and have it be a money pit. Thanks again for all the help!!

2005 FORD F250 CREW CAB 6.0L POWERSTROKE TURBO DIESEL LIFTED WARRANTY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Looks like California plates. Need to check on emissions before you start deleting anything on your truck in Cal.

Get an Oasis report on the truck, NOT JUST CARFAX. Take Vin# to Ford ask them for one. It will show what Ford did to it while under warranty.

There are some issues that were created in 05, STC being one of them. Hopefully, the Oasis will show that was fixed.

Get something to check temp spread between ECT and EOT. Scangauge II or Edge Insight, or heck, even the Torque APP with a good Blue tooth obd2 adapter.

Take one of these shopping with you! Show up early and start testing when the engine is cold.

Check the FICM readings first with any of the three things above. FICM main power should not be below 45v.

Then move on to temps and spreads. Take it for a long drive.

After you have all your info, then walk away and give a going over of the info. Heck, come back here on post what you have found.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Im sorta new and have enjoyed all the intel here. But how do you post a question on here?????
Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the ORG, BTW!!

In 2010, California started to 'smog' diesel powered vehicles. It consists of a visual inspection (supposed to see that all the part that are supposed to be there, are there.) If there are aftermarket parts, they need to have a CARB EO number associated with it in order to pass. If any components are missing, the truck won't pass.
They also do a "smoke" test to see that it only smokes for a certain amount of time and a certain distance from the vehicle.
Reality, unless you have truck with a DPF, these tests really don't do anything for the actual emissions you put out.

What part of CA are you from?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr8082 View Post
Im sorta new and have enjoyed all the intel here. But how do you post a question on here?????
One way is to look at the top nav bar, click on forums. Find the one that fits your question and click down into it. At the top of a section, there is an icon for new threads. Click it and go from there.

Welcome to the ORG!!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM

I'm not worried about emissions as it will either be registered in a smog exempt county or a friend can pass it with the EGR delete or other mods in place. Im more concerned with whether i need to put the EGR delete in or if this year is fine without one. Great tip about the STC though. I will definitely ask him and get an Oasis report. Does anyone know how much an Oasis report will cost? And can I go to any ford dealership to get one?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm just south of San Francisco
Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

The guy selling it can help also, the Oasis report is free.

If you do a little more reading, the Oil cooler has been the challenge. The coolant side plugs up and there goes the EGR cooler.

Budget 6.0L Build - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps

I still have my EGR system in place. (04) I live in Wash. and they do a snap test, haven't really looked for EGR system yet. I know I put my Cat back in before testing just in case.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM

The EGR cooler can let go at anytime. My 05 lost the EGR cooler at 61K with a 4 deg delta. The STC and EGR cooler problem are not hard fixes. Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM

So if the EGR cooler has been replaced/upgraded, or if it will be, and the STC has been upgraded to the newer version, ideally the the truck should not have any problems or have any problems with that area. I know other parts can fail just like any other vehicle, but in theory if those 2 things were fixed the rest of the engine should run fine if its been properly maintained? I just wanna make sure I'm understanding it correctly. Also switching to a different non-silicated coolant would be helpful too? Any other trouble areas I should be concerned about? And with that many miles on the truck in such a short time period (~25k a year) that shouldn't be much of a concern to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.