Fixing the 3-5 "Shift Flare" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fixing the 3-5 "Shift Flare"

I'm sure most of you have heard about it. The 3-5 shift flare is when your RPMs go up in between the 3-5 shift, almost as if it pops into neutral for a second then grabs the gear. If your truck does this you may also notice a slow drive to reverse engagement. It feels nasty and my truck just started doing this the other day...

Apparently it is cause by a clogged "direct drive solenoid". I'm thinking about buying this one from go-go diesel because I've heard it fixes the problem.

GoGoDiesel Modified Direct Clutch Solenoid GoGoDiesel Modified Direct Clutch Solenoid [GGD-DirectSOL] - $150.00 : Direct Injection Performance - GoGoDiesel.Com, Your Source For All Things Diesel!

But I have ALSO read other threads of guys swapping 3 transmissions and STILL having the 3-5 flare -suggesting it is a wiring or computer issue (something related to the truck and not the transmission)

I also heard that someone on a forum found the issue to be a wire grounding out somewhere or something but I can't seem to find that thread

Let's get a discussion going and see if anyone has fixed the "3-5 flare"

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i get that same flare every now and then dosen't do it all the time. but also dose it a lot less with factory programming. i'm tuned now with sct and i feel it but it dosen't always happen
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by psd_va View Post
i get that same flare every now and then dosen't do it all the time. but also dose it a lot less with factory programming. i'm tuned now with sct and i feel it but it dosen't always happen
Exactly the same with mine as well
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Mine only does it sometimes and only when the fluid is cold. I increased the shift pressure 10% and it helped some. I will get the solenoid installed when I change my internal filter.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM

I thought it was the tune, mine only seems to do it with my looney tune and first thing in the morning when its cold. The rest of the day its fine. Will this hurt the trans?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had the 3-5 flare bad when fluid was warm. Installed gogo solenoid and I hate it. Every other shift is smooth except that one. It rams into gear now. Feels like something else is gonna break. Not my cup of tea that's for sure. Oh and I'm on stock tuning also.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ohslow View Post
I had the 3-5 flare bad when fluid was warm. Installed gogo solenoid and I hate it. Every other shift is smooth except that one. It rams into gear now. Feels like something else is gonna break. Not my cup of tea that's for sure. Oh and I'm on stock tuning also.
interesting, you may have just sold me against this

I was definitely going to do the direct solenoid next. Now maybe I'll just live with a flare every once in a while
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah thinking about selling the gogo dd and get a stocker...if I keep my truck
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Take this advice from me however you please... but you Cannot sit here and say "dealing with the flare" is the right way to go about this, it has consequences. Im suffering from them now as we speak.

I had a 3-5 flare after tuning my truck and thought nothing of it for a while. For 25k miles I had a bad 3-5 flare so I replaced the stock solenoid with a gogo solenoid and new filters and I also drained my fluid and refilled. My truck started shifting like crap when the trans got warm... turns out my direct clutch was so worn from a bad factory direct clutch solenoid that it cant even make a direct shift without letting off, I parked the truck 3 weeks ago and i'm now im rebuilding my transmission...

You need to replace the direct clutch solenoid asap otherwise you will have problems down the road, theres no way around it. If you have the gogo solenoid and it shifts "hard" call Doug, it should shift FIRM NOT HARD, if it only does it while the truck is tuned I would mess with the shift pressures on the SCT on the direct shift. It should shift nice and firm in the stock programming and while tuned.

Also I will add this to the conversation because I feel like you guys are claiming "sometimes it flares and sometimes it doesn't".

The torqshift trans is really a 6 speed transmission, only utilizing 5 of the gears at any given point. The transmission will shift 1-2-3-5-6 when above 0*F. However the transmission will use 4th gear while daily driving, but its all depending on speed and will not shift 1-2-3-4..... If the truck is going too fast to use 3rd or isnt going fast enough to use 5th, it will go into 4th gear. Now once in 4th the trans will only shift into 6th/overdrive not into 5th. This is why so many people may think you're not getting a flare all the time but most of the time you're not even using the direct clutch so it wont flare. I would put money on those who are having a flare "sometimes" that every time you take off from a stop and go through the gears 1-2-3-5-6 you will get a flare every single time making the direct shift.

Hope this helps..
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My transmission started flaring after I did a big burnout the other day. At first I was worried that roasting the tires might have destroyed something in the transmission but a burnout isn't nearly as hard on the tranny as towing a 12,000pound 5th wheel up a 5% grade... I'm thinking it just got hotter than it usually does and some debris loosened up and clogged up the direct solenoid.

What I want to know is how one guy changed his tranny 3 times and still had the flare. Bad luck? Or an electronic issue?? Either way, I'm BABYING my truck on the stock tune until my GOGO solenoid comes in.

When you guys installed it how much fluid did you have to drain? Just to know how much needs to be replaced. My fluid still looks and smells new, so I hadn't planned on flushing everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.