HUMMING SOUND FROM FRONT END - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 04:48 AM
USMC 0311

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HUMMING SOUND FROM FRONT END

Ok guys bear with me here for a few. I am deployed right now so I'm not at home to make the call myself, but the wife is telling me that there is a humming noise coming from the front drivers side while driving. She says it can be heard the clearest above 40mph and goes away when she makes a right turn. The truck has 130,000 miles on it, no lift, and you can see my tires in my sig. I think its the bearings in the front hub but thats just my guess. Any other ideas?

This is what I think I need so correct me if I'm wrong.

Ford 250 Pickup Truck Super F350 Dually 4WD 4x4 w/ ABS Front Wheel Hub & Bearing | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
HUMMING SOUND FROM FRONT END-wheel-hub.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the exact same problem on a stock suspension too. Hopefully someone could help out and as a side note, thank you for your service.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Jack the front end up. They like to eat wheel bearings and rod ends. A good sign for rods is chopped front tires.

Grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it back and forth. If it rocks you got a wheel bearing.

Then rock it horizontally, and see if you have a rod end going out or some slack in the suspension somwhere. There should be no slack in it.

You need to have the tire off the ground to diagnose what is going on.

Dont skimp out on wheel bearings for these trucks, or you WILL be replacing them again alot sooner. Stick to Ford (even though expensive) or a set of Timkens.

I bought wheel bearings through that company and for beaters they are good, Heck I have them in my Exploder right now lol but I had them in my 99 Chev and they lasted a year.

Last edited by Rotbody; 11-21-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Once you go black......

Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
^^^ Yeah jacking up answered my questions a few weeks ago...I had the same symptoms as you. Wheel has lots of up and down play, wheel bearing/hub assembly was toast. New one is in, sound it gone and mileage is back to normal. Sorta scary how much wobble there was in my wheel when it was jacked up...
My money is on wheel bearing for you too
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM
USMC 0311

Thanks for the help. When I get home it looks like I'll be replacing some hubs and bearings. Does it matter if I only replace one or should I just do both at the same time to keep them even?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to stang85dude Send a message via Yahoo to stang85dude
Just throwing it out there but.. my carrier bearing went badI once and that made a sou d that seemed to be in the front to me. May wanna check that first to save ya a few hundred hundred
Old 11-22-2011, 04:07 AM
USMC 0311

Yea I will definitely check all possibilities before dropping the $$$ on parts. But for those that think its the front bearings; can I just replace the bearings in the hub or do I have to replace the entire hub and bearing assembly? You also said not to use the cheap ones so I was looking on Tousley Ford website and found these:

2006 10 F-250 Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

but I want to make sure thats the right part before I spend that kind of money. Also do I need to replace both or can I just do the bad one?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotbody View Post

Grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it back and forth. If it rocks you got a wheel bearing.

Then rock it horizontally, and see if you have a rod end going out or some slack in the suspension somwhere. There should be no slack in it.

Grabbing the top and bottom of tire for that test may give you a false diagnosis, on wheel bearings. If the ball joints are bad, it will cause movement.

It helps if you have a buddy, safely support the truck so the tire is off the ground.

For wheel bearings, your better off putting your hands at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position, and do the push/pull alternating pressure. You'll be watching behind the tire at the rotor and a stationary part like the knuckle. If your seeing the rotor moving in/out, then it's most likely the hub bearings.

Ball joints, you'll put your hands at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. Push/pull alternating pressure, and look for play at the ball joint.

For Tie rod ends, with the truck on the ground. Put your key in the ignition and turn it so you release the steering wheel lock, but don't start the truck. Have a buddy move the steering wheel left and right really hard and fast. While he is doing this, you'll be underneath looking for play at the Tie rods, drag link, and pitman arm knuckles. If all checks out good, give the Zerk fittings a shot or two of grease.

While your at it, check your sway bar and drop links for play, and have a look at your carrier bearing for play also.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattc0508 View Post
Yea I will definitely check all possibilities before dropping the $$$ on parts. But for those that think its the front bearings; can I just replace the bearings in the hub or do I have to replace the entire hub and bearing assembly? You also said not to use the cheap ones so I was looking on Tousley Ford website and found these:

2006 10 F-250 Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

but I want to make sure thats the right part before I spend that kind of money. Also do I need to replace both or can I just do the bad one?
The hub bearings are a sealed unit, yes it's possible to change out just the inner bearing, but why go thru all that work and have the outer bearing take a dump down the road. Your better off replacing the whole assembly.

You can get away with just replacing the bad one, but if money allows, and your already spending the day replacing the one, why not replace both for a peace of mind.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 PM
USMC 0311

Thanks for the tips. Anybody know how much the carrier bearing is and where to get it from in the event that it happens to be whats causing the trouble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.