Here is an another Injector Issue Thread... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is an another Injector Issue Thread...

Yeah here it is, another injector issue thread. I’ve been doing my reading, my searching and its time for my thread about how much my truck hates me.

The truck is a 2004 F250 6.0 (early 04 engine). Has just under 80k.

Here is a little history of the truck. Bought the truck with 63k and change.

Got home did an oil change and fuel filters (had aftermarket junk on there) and at the time used Motorcraft oil (worked at the dealership all 15qts cost me 25bucks).

Started to drive the truck for a while. Did another oil change to switch over to Amsoil 15w40 and did the coolant filter. Also installed exhaust and SCT tuner. This was all around the 70k mark.

Started noticing coolant loss, so planned my flush and studs, gather the parts for the flush and around February I flushed the coolant system and did ELC. By the end of April got all parts together to studs, and I did EVERYTHING while I was in there. Studs, egr delete, new just about everything and updated everything (that nice discount at ford helped).

Week later dropped a valve in cylinder 3 (found out later the valve had 2 small cracks in it and it was just a bad timing after all I just went threw doing gaskets and all), so we pulled the cab again, new valve, piston, rod and injector. That was all around 75k. Both times I had the engine apart used Amsoil and new filters.

After a couple of weeks I started noticing I was getting contribution codes, 85% of the time is was cylinder 5 and every so often id get a random one. Did some digging and found everyone’s favorite tool, Rev-x. Bought some and put it in, noticed better started and smoother running and contribution codes tapered off, still got 5 from time to time. When I got theses codes it was both hot or cold motor, and after a hard pull or full throttle run or going up a hill loading up the truck. I would start to notice bucking and miss like in the engine, not a completely dead miss. Let off throttle or get to the top of the hill and at idle would really feel it for a little, start going and it would sorta clear up, but if the truck went back to a stop/idle you could feel it for a little (usually around a minute or 2 this would happen). Never got a MIL just stored codes. The condition would clear up and drive like nothing happened until the next time.

Around the same time I started noticing my ficm voltage started it drop a little. Over a couple months Ficm voltage started getting bad, and contribution codes more frequent.
Then it was time for Diesel Nationals at Etown Speedway, well my truck didn’t want to go, "miss and bucking" wouldn’t clear up and we ended up leaving the truck at home. The next week the truck sat in the driveway awaiting funds to buy a new film and bought a Swaps 58v FICM with a tune. Installed that and things were looking up. A whole hell of a lot better starting and running. The “condition” happened after first install but didn’t come back after putting some miles on the truck.

Week or two pass and it starts its “condition” again. This time it no longer had a random cylinder it was always just 5. It slowly started getting worse, meaning more frequent. So next step was to do an oil change, I was about 1200 miles early but I was planning on doing the Rotella T-6 5w40 swap over, and rev-x again. Did the oil change and it helped a little bit.

Now on start up it starts a little harder, but only with the tune installed (tried both stock and tuned, but the file is causing that concern) but I also get a little bit of buck and miss at initial start up lasts maybe 2-3 seconds and comes from the odd side bank. Goes away and clears right up. Sometimes how ever it will do that and clear up and about 10 seconds later start its bucking and missing and stay like that, drive the truck away after letting warm for a minute and it will clear right up.

So on the internet I went, found myself late night on ebay (bad news right there), and found someone selling an Alliant Power brand new in box injector, its not the ford reman units it’s a brand new one. So what do I do, I place a bid on it. A few days later, get an email “I won”. Bought a new injector for about 200 shipped and no core, and im just waiting on that to arrive at my door on Monday.

Last night, however I went out after fixing my laptop and getting AE running again went out and plugged it in. its been about a week since I checked codes and it has acted up a bunch of times in that week. Pulled up codes and low and behold cylinder 5 contribution code, but now I have cylinder 3, yup that brand new injector that I just put in less then 5k miles ago is popping a code. I haven’t seen that cylinder before get the code.

Now my head hurts, im tired of fighting problems with this truck, ive done nothing but do the best for it, and here I am again about empty my wallet (which doesn’t have much in it to begin with) to fix this truck.

I’ve checked everything from wires to connectors to having good filters and oils to the power balance test. I am a technician so I know my way around the engine, and what to look for and where to look. I haven’t driven the truck yet to see if cylinder 3 comes back but that will be later today. I guess what im asking is what did I miss, where should I go from here. At this point I am going to replace cylinder 5 and pray to all the car gods that it solves this at least until I have a job again and can afford to either get new injectors all 8 or have the ones I have rebuilt and cleaned.

Sorry for such a long rant and story, but id rather have the whole history there and answer questions and take advice from there.

Thank you in advanced.
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Update. Drove the truck after clearing the codes last night. Started and acted up. Drove the truck and until it was completely warm it was acting up bad. Wouldn't clear up until the truck was almost warm.

Check codes. And it was a stored contribution code for cylinder 5. When it happened def noticed lack of power. No smoke was noticed or has been noticed during all this other them the puff of white and black smoke at initial start up

Another thing I noticed while using the AE. My exhaust backpressures don't seem right. Look at absolute and what is desired. At idle. Absolute was up around 20psi. And desired was about 3psi.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtcbmw View Post
Update. Drove the truck after clearing the codes last night. Started and acted up. Drove the truck and until it was completely warm it was acting up bad. Wouldn't clear up until the truck was almost warm.

Check codes. And it was a stored contribution code for cylinder 5. When it happened def noticed lack of power. No smoke was noticed or has been noticed during all this other them the puff of white and black smoke at initial start up

Another thing I noticed while using the AE. My exhaust backpressures don't seem right. Look at absolute and what is desired. At idle. Absolute was up around 20psi. And desired was about 3psi.
I basically went through the same thing with my truck - it ended up being all three injectors. At first it was injector 5, and intermittently injector 4. I replaced 5 and it was better. I then kept getting codes for 4 and replaced that one as well. Low and behold, I then got number 2 and all was well. I used rev-x and it helped, but did not solve the problem. My FICM read 48 the whole time so I figured it had to be the injector. I will end up replacing the other 5 very soon.

All injectors were remanufactured but not from Ford. I bought all three from Ford and she runs very, very good now. I don't think that all remanufactured injectors are the same. Alliant made all of the injectors, so who remanufactures them is the key on how long they will last.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Well I think I would try replacing #5 and retest. Sounds like you've pretty much checked everything else out. Only other thing to do would be to do a compression test, but I doubt this is your issue. Usually when you have a miss but no smoking it's an injector related issue. If you had low compression and a good injector it should be white smoking a good bit.

EBP absolute is like a MAP reading, it starts at barometric pressure and goes up. So an absolute reading of 20, and a desired of 3 is about right, it's off a psi or so but not horrible. Most places barometric pressure will be around 14.6, but will usually show up as 15 psi on the scan tool. So, 20 absolute -15 psi puts you at 5 psi actual EBP.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Well I think I would try replacing #5 and retest. Sounds like you've pretty much checked everything else out. Only other thing to do would be to do a compression test, but I doubt this is your issue. Usually when you have a miss but no smoking it's an injector related issue. If you had low compression and a good injector it should be white smoking a good bit.

EBP absolute is like a MAP reading, it starts at barometric pressure and goes up. So an absolute reading of 20, and a desired of 3 is about right, it's off a psi or so but not horrible. Most places barometric pressure will be around 14.6, but will usually show up as 15 psi on the scan tool. So, 20 absolute -15 psi puts you at 5 psi actual EBP.

My new injector will be here, now im quoting UPS, by end of day monday. So tomorrows goal is to clear out the garage and make space to pull the truck in and begin the tear down.

Thats what i was thinking about the EBP sensor. I think i looked at the before and questioned and searched and found the same answer but that was so long ago i forgot what i found.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Update.. Took the tune off the truck, just habit when doing big work on the vehicle to turn it back to stock. Drove the truck, didnt act up, really took some full throttle run to act up but when it did it didnt clear up 100%, it was bad at first but started tapering off as i drove home and sat in the drive way. Checked the codes, cylinder 3 contribution code.

Plan for tomorrow is replace 5 and swap 3 with 1 and see if it follows. we shall see.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 PM

What tune are you running for your truck OP?

Sorry to stray off topic a bit, but what does one consider "alot of smoking" and does that refer to smoking at startup? I'm experiencing raw-diesel smoke at startup, since the temp has been dropping. I would like to determine, if possible, the health of my injectors over the winter. Can a faulty glow plug hurt injectors around this time?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
What tune are you running for your truck OP?

Sorry to stray off topic a bit, but what does one consider "alot of smoking" and does that refer to smoking at startup? I'm experiencing raw-diesel smoke at startup, since the temp has been dropping. I would like to determine, if possible, the health of my injectors over the winter. Can a faulty glow plug hurt injectors around this time?

Ive run Matts and Erics tunes on the truck. My truck does not like matts files anymore i dont know why, but i have been running Erics Xtreme Street.

As far as the too much smoke, the most recent post and video that i think explains "alot of smoke" would be westcoaststrokin's thread: Bad Injector

Mine does not do that. It puffs a little cloud of a little white then a a little black. or one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.