Just need some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just need some advice

I purchased a 2006 F-250 6.0 and I am being bombarded with the typical advice from every one who thinks they know diesel engines but don't wrench on their own. Ford just replaced my FICM, EGR cooler, and oil cooler and WOW what a price tag! I want to work on the engine my self but I am new to diesel. Can any one give me a list of typical issues that will follow these, so that I may prepare and educate myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would say the first thing is get an edge insight so you can monitor your vitals (ECT,EOT,EGT...etc) Its like being one step ahead of the game. Also drive it like you stole it!! I mean it I clean mine out every time I hit a onramp These trucks hate to be babied as anyone will tell you. Last keep up with the maintenance. Im sure someone else will chime in now. Enjoy your ride
Old 11-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The replacement FICM is still subject to issues if you let your electrical system get low on voltage (batteries or alternator). If it ever craters on you again, it is easy to fix (FICMrepair.com will upgrade some weak components and re-flow the circuitboard solder at a reasonable price).

The OEM EGR cooler is a weak point. A new one should be fine for many years if you properly maintain your coolant system, but the BulletProofDiesel one is MUCH better. Some people delete the EGR system as the solution.

The failed EGR cooler and oil cooler comes from the coolant plugging up in the oil cooler passageways. This starves the EGR cooler for flow and it fails. If you are using Ford Gold coolant, flush it EVERY 50K miles and use distilled water. Do not mix coolants. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the degas bottle and do not let it get too low. The proper level in the degas bottle is at the "Min Mark". Some people have switched to ELC EC-1 coolant. That is probably a good move. Coolant filters are also a good idea,

All year models are marginal on fuel pressure in MANY of these engines. Install an add-on fuel pressure gauge in addition to the Edge Insight (or equivalent - scangaugeII, etc). If your fuel pressure is below 50 psig at WOT (below 45 psig is VERY bad for injectors), then you need the updated fuel pressure regulator spring.

The 05's and up have a weak connection on the discharge of the high pressure oil pump. This connection, the STC fitting, needs to be replaced with the upgraded part. Also, the original dummy plugs and standppes are prone to leaking high pressure oil and should be replaced with the updated parts. You can do a search on the topic and find lots of info. You don;t have to do this upgrade right-away, but it is adviseable.

Go to the dealership and get an OASIS report - ask for a full report. It will list all of the warranty repairs. Post up the info you get and folks might see some other things to pass on to you.

Your

Last edited by bismic; 11-20-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you plan on doing alot of your own repairs, it would be wise to invest in a good diagnostic scan tool like Autoenginuity. With today's modern diesel's relying on the PCM/ECM and TCM, it will help you prevent "just throwing parts" at it.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for that information, now I have a few avenues to research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.