ATF added to fuel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATF added to fuel?

hey quick question i every so often add a quart of atf to my tank to help with lubrication of fuel system such as injectors and also for cleaning purposes. well my question is dose it matter what kind of ATF i add to the tank? i normally just got some off brand cheap stuff from gas station. well i have some honda ATF-Z1 fluid and also have some GM ATF6.

can i add either of these or any ATF for that matter and get the same benifits with out any issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

stick with 2 stroke oil....cheaper from wal mart anyway. some say yes for atf, some strongly against it
Old 11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Chapter Director

i was using ATF cause i get it for free basically. dose it matter what kind of 2 stroke oil and how much and how often
Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Just curious, what are the benefits of running ATF or 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank. Can i hurt or damage the engine or will it make it smoke like hell until it burns out. I've heard alot of people do this, i mean does it do that much good? Im sorry for all the questions.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM

I run a quart of the wal mart brand with every tank (30 gal). I lubes the fuel system, mainly the fuel side of the injectors. Search on here or google...probably a million threads on the topic
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Chapter Director

ok thanks ill check it out
Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxman View Post
Just curious, what are the benefits of running ATF or 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank. Can i hurt or damage the engine or will it make it smoke like hell until it burns out. I've heard alot of people do this, i mean does it do that much good? Im sorry for all the questions.
I have seen this done quite frequently in Iraq. We were replacing fuel injection pumps left and right in the beginning until we got a tip to tell the operators to add 1Qt of ATF at every fill up. Made a major reduction in the number of injection pump replacements afterwards. Not sure how or if it would affect our engines but it did not cause our engines to smoke nor did I see any ill effects from it.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM

heck just by some opti-lube XPD in the gallonw size and add it every fill up. it is around 100 bucks and treats something like 400 gallons.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
I use ATF 2 stroke or power service. I would also recommend buying a bottle of marvels mystery oil to put in and keep the bottle. It's basically ATF but says on the bottle "for use in ultra low sulfer diesel" so that way if you get your tank dipped you have some sort of wAy to fight (red fuel =offload)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Personally, I wouldn't run ATF as it has friction modifiers and is designed to provide a specific level of lubrication without allowing for slippage. That, and it isn't designed to be burned. 2 Stroke oil on the other hand is designed to be burned, and is ashless. It's sole purpose is to ensure that the moving parts in a 2 stroke stay lubricated. Just get some ASHLESS 2 stroke oil, and run it! It's cheaper, and IMO, better than ATF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.