Shopping F-diesels....Should I be scared of the 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shopping F-diesels....Should I be scared of the 6.0?

I'm shopping F-diesels. I like the styling more of the 08+ 6.4 but I see a lot more 6.0s out there on the market, some at good prices. Should I be as scared of the 6.0 as I am feeling? I know the mods to do, but what should I look at from the seller? Is one with 100k+ mileage something to consider or no. For instance 06 King Ranch 6.0 131k miles listed at $18k.

Talk me into a 6.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcphail View Post
I'm shopping F-diesels. I like the styling more of the 08+ 6.4 but I see a lot more 6.0s out there on the market, some at good prices. Should I be as scared of the 6.0 as I am feeling? I know the mods to do, but what should I look at from the seller? Is one with 100k+ mileage something to consider or no. For instance 06 King Ranch 6.0 131k miles listed at $18k.

Talk me into a 6.0.
Depends if you are wanting to spend the money it takes to make these things reliable. Depending on what the condition of everything really dictates the amount of money you're going to be spending. If you are looking to make that investment then the 6.0's are wonderful trucks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I wouldn't take a newer truck unless it was given to me, and I still got to keep my 6.0 . I love my 6.0. If you hang around here enough, you'll find that most every 6.0 problem has a fix, with aftermarket parts. That truck you mentioned looks like a good price, and I wouldn't be shy of mileage like that. There are 6.0's out there with over 500k on the original engine
Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Making the 6.0 not die is easy. Clean coolant really at the end of the day. But there are a few other things that go into it as well.

Dig around you will see!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is an appropriate budget for the necessary mods? assuming it includes tuned, egr delete, coolant flinch.and change etc.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
EGR delete $350, BPD oil cooler $1900 (the two main things to do), blue spring FPR kit $50, 6.4 banjo bolts $15, ICP $150, Turbo cleaning $free (if you have the time and a dremel tool), 5W-40 full synthetic $165, rev-x $79, Edge Insight CTS $350, SCT SF3 $350, Custom tunes $80 a piece. Having a 9000 lb truck that will run a 1/4 mile in 13.6 sec, priceless.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
EGR delete $350, BPD oil cooler $1900 (the two main things to do), blue spring FPR kit $50, 6.4 banjo bolts $15, ICP $150, Turbo cleaning $free (if you have the time and a dremel tool), 5W-40 full synthetic $165, rev-x $79, Edge Insight CTS $350, SCT SF3 $350, Custom tunes $80 a piece. Having a 9000 lb truck that will run a 1/4 mile in 13.6 sec, priceless.
Wouldn't the BPD oil cooler be optional if he did a flush with Cat EC-1 coolant and did the delete/upgraded EGR and stock oil cooler?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl77 View Post
Wouldn't the BPD oil cooler be optional if he did a flush with Cat EC-1 coolant and did the delete/upgraded EGR and stock oil cooler?
Yes it would be. If you can do your own work you can pretty much bulletproof your truck for around $1000. Dicad erg delete $150, Tousley oil cooler $220, STC upgrade fitting $65, flush and coolant change $200, coolant filter $140, Throw in a bypass oil filter for $250 and you should have a really solid truck. If the FICM goes out it can be repaired for for a couple hundred ore you can get a 58v upgrade with PHP custom tuning for about $500.

I'll take a 6.0 over the 6.4 or 6.7 any day.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
IMO the Cat EC-1 and a new stock oil cooler and upgraded EGR is just prolonging the problem until the oil cooler ruptures. The stock oil cooler is VERY VERY poorly designed. If you do that you still have to be paranoid and monitor your EOT-ECT delta just waiting for something to happen. That doesn't even mention that CAT EC-1 costs about $35/gal and you still have to buy a coolant filter, and flush every 50000 miles with it. If you have the cash do the BPD oil cooler, forget about EOT-ECT diff, put whatever coolant you want in it, flush once a year with $9/gal coolant and be happy as hell.
That's IMO though, to each his own.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcphail View Post
I like the styling more of the 08+ 6.4...
WOW really?! I absolutely HATE the 08-10 trucks. The 11's still make me cringe a little. Maybe they will grow on me one day. The 05-07 is by far my favorite with the 92-97 OBS trucks then MAYBE the 99-04.

The 6.4 trucks have there own share of problems that I would say are sometimes worse than the 6.0. For the 6.0 for sure. If you get dual climate control in a 6.4 you can gaurantee you'll be replacing at least one blend door actuator motor and one of them requires removing the entire dash and evaporator box. There is also the rash of coolant leaks that the 6.4 is plagued with. My good buddy had a MINT job 3 '08 and his had a mix of both of those problems. Guess what he drives now? An '06 6.0 king ranch with 210k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.