Best replacement alternator? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best replacement alternator?

Well, tonight my truck's battery light started flickering and my voltage started fluctuating like crazy on the gauge, accessories started cutting out, etc. I pulled over right away, checked everything and I am pretty sure its the alternator. I just pulled it off, the batteries are pretty new I am hoping it didnt take them out with it.

I am going to go first thing and get the alternator tested, but it is currently a reman chinese piece of **** that was on the truck when I got it. Assuming it is the alternator, what are your suggestions for alternator?

Parts store chinese 110 amp stock replacement? parts store 120amp upgrade replacement? Should I see if the dealer has a better made option?

What about the USA made MEAN GREEN alternators found online? Any good/bad things on those? They are almost twice as expensive but they are 200 amp and made in the USA.

I searched around a bit, but found no good answers on which alt to buy just lots of threads on how to take then alternator off, which was pleasantly easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Try this one
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/vaf/produ...92&engine=1018
2 stroker
Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a stock unit from an '07 that I upgraded at 30K miles or so. If you are interested IM me.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 AM

I have one of these and been very happy with it.
200 amp HD unit
Ford Power Stroke 7.3L 6.0L 6.4L 6.7L Diesel Type High Output Large Case 6G Series Alternators
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
X2 on the DC Power alternator I bought the 250a but they sent me the 270a I have not had a problem since. Do your research before you buy, the 12 larger diodes and heavier windings verses 6 standard diodes and wiring was my selling point. Dissipating heat is the key to longevity with a good alternator. If you go bigger you have to address the extra output and upgrade your cables accordingly in the end the investment is well worth it if you plan on keeping your truck for several years. I have mine built the way I want it and do not plan on trading it for several more years.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM

I just installed the powerbastards.com 220a alternator. (High Output Alternators and Accessories | PowerBastards.com)

Great prices, good warranty, completely new alternator was used to build the alternator. Mike is a great person to deal with, sent me the wrong pulley called him up and he expressed shipped a new one to me, got here in 2 days.

I also upgraded ALL my battery cables and alternator cables at the same time. Just piggyback the alt cable with my 1/0 gauge wire.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Got my alternator tested at AutoZone and it tested fine.... wtf I am lost now. Not sure what to try next.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 AM

I had an alternator once on another vehicle that was cutting out. It was brand new and when I brought it in to be tested it tested fine. Ended up in a big disagreement with carquest so i finally returned it and bought one somewhere else. no more problem.

My point is, i think having it tested is fine, but conditions are different when you're out driving vs when it's on their stationary testing set-up. It's probably a sign that it's at least on it's way out. Might as well replace/upgrade it before it takes the batteries with it. Just my opinion
Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM

I am going to buy a cheapie reman and put it on and if that fixes the prob, I am going to try to return it and then get a DC power alternator.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
I just got one from the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.