Boost problem??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost problem???

Alright I just finished up swapping out my injector in the truck and got it all back together. When I got it started and warmed up good I revved it up just to make sure that everything was ok I guess and the boost gauge was only reading about 15 psi tops. I was just wondering if this was ok or is there a problem I read somewhere that it should be about 20 or so I believed? It doesn't have the CAI on it right now just the pipe that connects to the turbo if that has anything to do with it and the previous owner placed the hose for the boost gauge in the pipe going to the intake elbow in front of the EGR valve. Could this be a bad spot for measuring the boost? Thanks in advance and just took take away all questions yes I'm a newb in the diesel world always meesed with gas engines so its all new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Boost gauge connection at elbow is the best place for it.

Are you reving the motor in park or are you driving?

Were the batteries disconnected for a prolong time, you might want to try the VGT relearn, If you have an early '04 truck with '03 motor, not sure if this works for the '04 motor.

Compliments of Bismic,
KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure
1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)
2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)
3. Turn on the headlights
4. Disconnect both batteries
5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).
6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes
7. Turn off the headlights.
8. Re-connect batteries
9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".
10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.
11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:

15 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn"
its adaptive strategy. Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the
P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed. As for the Tow/Haul mode, the transmission
must re-learn your driving style and loads hauled again as this was cleared when the truck was
re-flashed.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To really get boost you need to drive it and put it under a load. Or power brake it. Just idling revving it up won't do that much.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah it was in neutral parked when I was revving it. The truck was down for about a week and a half so I'll have to try that for sure. It's an early 04 with the 03 problem child
Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does the truck have to be running or turned off for the relearning process for the VGT?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04psd250 View Post
Yeah it was in neutral parked when I was revving it. The truck was down for about a week and a half so I'll have to try that for sure. It's an early 04 with the 03 problem child
Yep, the turbo won't build maximum boost without putting a real load on it.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I tried the KAM reset and took the truck out on the road now the truck doesn't want to build over 7 lbs of boost now? I changed the oil with T6 synthetic could the turbo be gummed up from the old oil or something?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Double check all your electrical connections and grounds. Your truck has been down for a period of time, there is a chance the vanes in the VGT are sticking, might need to clean turbo.

Without a good diagnostic scan tool to monitor what's going on, you might be throwing parts at it.

Here is the VGT diagnostic procedure.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...argerGuide.pdf
Old 11-18-2011, 01:31 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 11-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I have a diablo sport and I ran the scan on it and the KAM code came up along with the EGR but I deleted the valve so that's understandable and the drive cycle came up also but other than that nothing. I guess I'll just have to try the procedure again tomorrow and if that doesn't work than I guess I'll tear the turbo apart for a good cleaning because honestly I doubt it has ever been taken apart and cleaned. The previous owner never done anything at all to the motor except change the oil it seems so I'd say it's past due for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.