Exhuast question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhuast question

Ok heres my question, i have a 06 f250 diesel with the stock 3 1/2 inch exhaust. I have recently removed the muffler and kitty. Will i gain anything by going to a 4 inch turbo back with no muffler or kitty. I know it may lower egt's a little, but is it worth the money. I dont have any mods done to the truck, but I do run a programmer occasionally on tow safe, but thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
On my 6.0 I installed a 4" turbo back gutted the cat and had a run through in it with no muffler. You will for sure have a drop in EGTs (especially towing) and it will sound mean too. Some people say you gain hp and a little mpg but I didn't notice much difference with that but your truck will breath better. I think it's worth it and would do it again, if your going to do mods later you will want it.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlarkin View Post
You will for sure have a drop in EGTs (especially towing) and it will sound mean too.
Does the extra noise get aggravating on long drives?

Full Disclosure: If I ever owned a Harley it'd end up being the quietest one on the road because I just can't stand pointless extra noise when I'm driving
Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Smlarkin is right, the truck sounds mean as hell. I havent towed anything yet, and i didnt really notice any power increase. As far as the sound inside the cab, with the windows up you would never know you have straight pipe. I did notice about a 1-2 mile increase in my MPG. Saturday i decided to clean my EGR valve out and holy crap, talk about a power increase.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl77 View Post
Does the extra noise get aggravating on long drives?

Full Disclosure: If I ever owned a Harley it'd end up being the quietest one on the road because I just can't stand pointless extra noise when I'm driving
Windows up I dont hear much. It doesnt drone or anything. Truly, I had a bit of drone with my muffler on there. Once that was ditched now nothing. Put the windows and your right foot down, its on like donky kong. LOUD!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only issue I had with noise was the turbo. The 03 turbos were loud, I'm talking about the whistle. When I put the CAI and the straight pipe on it thats what gave it the jet sound the most, you could hear me miles away, me I love the sound of it and a lot of people do too but there are a lot who say it gets annoying too. The only time it bothered me is on long drives late at night and I had the radio off but I loved it non the less. The only time you will really notice the noise of your straight pipe is when you get into the gas pedal with the windows down mostly, otherwise you won't know its there especially with the windows up. The guys can tell when a straight piped 6.0 is pulling into traffic even without seeing it, it has its own awesome sound IMHO

My dad and brother are with you though they each put very quiet exhaust on their Harleys, Me I have 2 pipes that go straight down to the ground from the motor and is loud as HEdouble hockey sticks. They don't like to ride next or behind me
Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
The only time you will really notice the noise of your straight pipe is when you get into the gas pedal with the windows down mostly
Interesting, and good to know. I know that my 6.0 is loud enough in the van that I'm trying to find ways of further insulating the firewall, doghouse, and floors, and that's with the windows up! I don't expect it to be as quiet as my car, but I do want to be able to hold a conversation without yelling at highway speeds
Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxman View Post
Ok heres my question, i have a 06 f250 diesel with the stock 3 1/2 inch exhaust. I have recently removed the muffler and kitty. Will i gain anything by going to a 4 inch turbo back with no muffler or kitty. I know it may lower egt's a little, but is it worth the money. I dont have any mods done to the truck, but I do run a programmer occasionally on tow safe, but thats it.
Yes you may save a few EGT's towing but that is about it. Don't waste your money unless you need those reduced EGT's.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl77 View Post
Interesting, and good to know. I know that my 6.0 is loud enough in the van that I'm trying to find ways of further insulating the firewall, doghouse, and floors, and that's with the windows up! I don't expect it to be as quiet as my car, but I do want to be able to hold a conversation without yelling at highway speeds
Thats a bummer, I'm taking it as being a cargo type van, right so there isn't much for insulation? I don't know if this helps but I'll shoot it out to you anyways. On my dad's hot rod he was having a really bad road noise problem and heat coming from the exhaust so we took out the interior and sprayed this stuff called lizard skin and that stuff was amazing. Its an insulation type spray and it really made the car quiet. We have used it again a few times since on other builds just as part of the interior install, no complaints
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Thats a bummer, I'm taking it as being a cargo type van, right so there isn't much for insulation? I don't know if this helps but I'll shoot it out to you anyways. On my dad's hot rod he was having a really bad road noise problem and heat coming from the exhaust so we took out the interior and sprayed this stuff called lizard skin and that stuff was amazing. Its an insulation type spray and it really made the car quiet. We have used it again a few times since on other builds just as part of the interior install, no complaints
No, it's a Chateau

I'm making it out to be much worse than it really is. In our other vehicle, a gas sedan, we actually needed to sometimes whisper to each other when the kids were falling asleep as it was so quiet in the car. This is not a problem in the van!

The noise is completely acceptable for a diesel, but the turbo on my 2004MY (late 2003 built) van is quite loud inside as it basically sits right between my wife and I and only has that thin little doghouse blocking out the noise. I'm going to start by insulating that and see if I can't get rid of the higher pitches, like the guy on badgertrek.com did to his van.

BadgerTrek: Sportsmobile base Ford E350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.