Blackstone Report thoughts... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Blackstone Report thoughts...

Here is a copy of my report. Anyone with thoughts on the silicone?

Truck has AFE Stage II and doesn't appear to be letting unfiltered air thru? No RevX either. This is the Motorcraft oil that has been in since January. I had the oil changed at Powerstroke Magic in Jan when I bought the truck while doing other work. I pulled this sample from when I changed it to Rotella Triple a couple of weeks ago.

Shawn

NOTE Report pdf in 3rd post - this one was blank
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blackston.11.15.11.pdf (261.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Cuzmail; 11-16-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: PDF was blank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I see nothing on the PDF.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Premium Member

Trying again
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blackstone.11.15.11.pdf (960.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-16-2011, 05:56 AM
wwwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Check the crankcase tube that goes to the intake pipe, that's where mine was leaking from.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

Shawn,
Like the folks at Blackstone, I see a generally good report. You ask for opinions specifically in regards to silicon (your truck at 24 vs. 12 universal average). I encourage either a replacement of the filter element or clean the filter element; I have two filters that I rotate and I use the pre-filter cover too.

You don't ask about your viscosity and the folks at Blackstone don't remark (maybe bacause you refer to the oil as "diesel engine oil"). Your engine oil is at the lower end of a 30 weight at best. Considering you have trace fuel as well I can't concur with Blackstone in the recommendation of a 9k mile sample - in fact, I recommend a return to a 5k interval.

Nine oil changes vs. five oil changes in 45k miles may produce a $400 to $500 expense...that is equivalent to two injectors...and a failure of ONE injector will not make you happy (but it might make you poor). If you are going to use 7k to 9k miles as your service interval you need to invest in an oil bypass filtration system. AND I hope you have a gauge set to monitor the coolant temperature and oil temperature in operation (and fuel pressure...those are the BIG THREE).

You asked.

Jonathan
Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
Shawn,
You don't ask about your viscosity and the folks at Blackstone don't remark (maybe bacause you refer to the oil as "diesel engine oil"). Your engine oil is at the lower end of a 30 weight at best. Considering you have trace fuel as well I can't concur with Blackstone in the recommendation of a 9k mile sample - in fact, I recommend a return to a 5k interval.

Nine oil changes vs. five oil changes in 45k miles may produce a $400 to $500 expense...that is equivalent to two injectors...and a failure of ONE injector will not make you happy (but it might make you poor). If you are going to use 7k to 9k miles as your service interval you need to invest in an oil bypass filtration system. AND I hope you have a gauge set to monitor the coolant temperature and oil temperature in operation (and fuel pressure...those are the BIG THREE).

You asked.

Jonathan
I completely agree and had no original intentions to hit 7K on that change. I didn't specifically ask about the interval because I already planned to get back to 5K changes.

Check the sig for gauges.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with Jonathan here. The oil has been sheared heavily and I would suggest changing it at least at 7k. A 30 weight in and of itself isn't a problem but you are pushing the low end and due for change. Maybe try another sample at 6k next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.