Would you purchase a 6.0 that was part of Buy Back program? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you purchase a 6.0 that was part of Buy Back program?

I have been looking at a few 6.0's and am looking to buy in the very near future if I can find the right truck. I found one I was interested in at a Ford dealership, and I asked for the OASIS report. What they gave me didn't show any work that had been done, but it said there was a close CUDL on the truck. After researching, I found out this means there has been a complaint to Ford by the owner at some point. I asked the dealer for more info and told them I would like to know what the complaint was and what (if any) resolution came from it. They told me the only work they could see under warranty was on the injectors and no mention of EGR, oil cooler, or head gasket issues. They said the truck was part of the Ford good will buy back program, where Ford purchased the truck back from the original owner. They also said that the history that they have available only goes back 180 days. Is that true? I thought they would be able to see a full history, does anyone know?

The dealer says the truck has been inspected by the service shop and the coolers and head gaskets appear to be healthy. What do you all think about this scenario? Any info is greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is get myself into a truck and end up spending thousands in repairs within the next few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What year is it
Never take the word of a dealer get something like the ScangaugeII and plug it in and take it for a ride a long ride when it is up to temp then check the health of the motor if it checks out they may have everything fixed i would only get an 06-07 then they would have to give me some warranty for FREE 3 years 36,000 miles.
2 stroker
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM

I'm sure you could find some who love the 6.0 but I haven't. Most of what I hear is exactly what you listed in your post. I was talking with a certified diesel mechanic recently about his 05 6.0 he had a 99 7.3 he sold to his father that he borrows and drives more than his because its more dependable. He admitted if it wasn't for the fact of doing the repairs himself it would break him in shop costs. With that said admittedly the 6.0 will out perform the 7.3 when its running right, which is the catch. Just remember 6.woe. Oh let's not forget the head bolt issue as well. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to helsel_182 Send a message via Skype™ to helsel_182
if you have money to put into a 6.0 it can just as dependable if not more dependable than a 7.3 and with way more power i owned a 2 7.3 a 97 and a 01 both were great trucks, but i would not give up my 03 6.0 for the world it has never let me down and i have almost 300k on it now i rebuilt the motor(top end only) at 285k when i did that i studded it and did all the supporting mods...... with care and respect for what the truck is it ..... if it is runnning good now and it dosent look beat up if you can get it for a good price go for it ... but do the mods and you will be happy
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the input so far. It is a 2006, I should've mentioned that. I used to be scared to death of a 6.0, but I have been trying to educate myself on what the problems are and the fixes. It's just frustrating that the "fixes" are so expensive. Keep the opinions/advice coming, I've been looking at a couple trucks and would really like to get my new truck within the next couple weeks.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to helsel_182 Send a message via Skype™ to helsel_182
i would have to say that the biggest fix of a 6.0 isnt expencive its not being an jacka** when driving it..... just because its fast dosent mean treat it like a racecar.......i always check the brake pedal for excessive wear.... if its down to the metal that means they are hitting the brake alot. which means abuse.... 06 6.0 are relitavly problem free, they had 3 years to fix the problems...... good luck .... are you going to get rid of your 2011 or just want to get another one......
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVStroker View Post
Thanks for the input so far. It is a 2006, I should've mentioned that. I used to be scared to death of a 6.0, but I have been trying to educate myself on what the problems are and the fixes. It's just frustrating that the "fixes" are so expensive. Keep the opinions/advice coming, I've been looking at a couple trucks and would really like to get my new truck within the next couple weeks.
I was in the same boat before I bought mine. I had some experience with the 7.3 and had heard nothing but horror stories about the 6.0. When I bought mine I set about $1000 aside to delete the EGR, get some gauges for monitoring everything, an sct x3 with custom tunes and did a good service. The biggest thing with these trucks is preventative maintenance.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 PM

I actually already sold the truck in my Sig several months back when I bought a house, now I'm looking to get into something a little cheaper. I've always loved the bodystyle of the 03-07, I just let the bad reputation scare me away from them the first time. I have been without a truck since late spring, and I'm anxious to get back in one!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 PM

The reason why most of these trucks are in the buyback program is because Ford and their "technicians" couldn't fix the trucks correctly because they were unaware of the route to all of the problems. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the price was right, put a few thousand into it fixing their mistakes, and walk away laughing.

This is where the bad rap of the 6 liter comes in handy, you can basically steal these trucks from people because everyone is scared of them.

the 6.0 runs circles around the 7.3 in every category, I dont care who you are.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Maybe a Ford Tech can chime in on this...
I thought the OASIS should show all of the work that's been done to that truck by a Ford dealer since the truck was new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.