When should i worry - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When should i worry

Was wondering at what temps should i start to worry on my 06. I recently put a new bpd egr cooler and a new oem oil cooler. I have an Edge CTS that i can use to monitor all the important stuff. I use it for towing heavy loads. I know about watching the delta T between the EOT and ECT but dont know at what temps i should start to back off. What temps are to high for EOT & ECT when towing. Also i have been told not to exceed 1200 degrees on the EGT. I am running stock exhaust but have installed a cold air intake. i am also leaning towards installing the BPD oil cooler now as well. Truck only has 4500 miles on it and i am planning on keeping it for the long haul. Any hel[p- is appreciated. Also i live in Washington state and most every trip entails going over high passes when on the road.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If your EGT probe is POST turbo, 1200 degrees is about right. However if the EGT probe is in the manifold, pre-turbo, I stick to 1350. Nothing sustained higher than that. As for the delta, 15 degrees indicates a clogged cooler (cruising) but sometimes under load or on a grade you can get higher than that with healthy coolers. As far as what is too hot, the fan comes on around 218 IIRC, and when it does it'll cool down a healthy engine very quickly. Just driving ECT and EOT should be in the upper 180s, low 190s.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
If your EGT probe is POST turbo, 1200 degrees is about right. However if the EGT probe is in the manifold, pre-turbo, I stick to 1350. Nothing sustained higher than that. As for the delta, 15 degrees indicates a clogged cooler (cruising) but sometimes under load or on a grade you can get higher than that with healthy coolers. As far as what is too hot, the fan comes on around 218 IIRC, and when it does it'll cool down a healthy engine very quickly. Just driving ECT and EOT should be in the upper 180s, low 190s.

Thanks for the fast response. I was looking more for what is considered the "redline temps" if there is such a thing more on the EOT when should i pull over or back off. At what temp could i cause damage to something?

Thanks
Again
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If you have functioning coolers, you don't have to worry about backing off. As for the danger zone, it depends on the oil you use. The hotter you get it, the shorter its lifespan.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
If you have functioning coolers, you don't have to worry about backing off. As for the danger zone, it depends on the oil you use. The hotter you get it, the shorter its lifespan.

I am running standard DELO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.