My experience with the 6.0l (With Pictures) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My experience with the 6.0l (With Pictures)

I just wanted to start this thread to boast about the 6.0L since I feel it deserves it. Before I bought this truck I had the option between a 2008 6.4 or this 2006 6.0l. I ended up choosing the 6.0l after talking to some people who had one and loved it, also because I liked the body style better. After buying the truck online with only an oasis check on it, which came back totally clean and no major work, I began to read about all the 6.0l problems. I am very picky about maintainence so right after buying the truck I took it to a ford dealership that I previously worked at and had them replace fuel filters, oil, oil filters, and as learned from here the upgraded fuel spring. Also the only thing they could find wrong with it was a bad o ring on the cam shaft sensor and the power steering pump was leaking. All this was fixed on the spot.

From buying the truck with 47,000 miles on it in last may I now have 71,500 miles. I did 3 trips from Maryland to Florida and back within the first 3 months of owning the truck. 2 of the trips there and back I was towing a 10,000 lbs boat. Also since buying the truck I have done a whole list of mods which are listed in my sig. Before every mod I do, I always do the most research I can to find the best possible option. And so far I have been happy with every mod.

Through this nearly 25,000 miles, the truck has run flawlessly, in fact I have not had a single known 6.0l problem. However since I am big on maintainence and bulletproofing I went ahead and had the heads pulled checked new oem head gaskets, arp studs, stc fitting, updated dummy plugs and stand pipes, and egr delete. 400 miles of driving after this big job I brought the truck back to the mechanic to look it over and make sure everythigns running right. He checked the oil and couldnt believe it but the oil looked as good as new after 400 miles. He said hes never seen a diesel with oil this clean after that many miles. And everything else looked great.

Now I am running a race tune with the truck and honestly wouldn't want any other vehicle right now. I wouldn't even take a 6.7 if someone offered it to me. With all the mods I have done to the truck, I have everything set up the way I like. Theres only a few things I want to add to my list and thats 35" tires, light bar with 2 low and 2 high beam lights, more amber running lights, and possibly air bags in the back. I want to get most of this done before winter because when it snows I will be out all day and night towing people out of ditches. Last year with my tahoe I pulled out 16 cars including one cop car. One person offered money to me, the others just said thanks and took off.

Last but not least me and my dad are purchasing a new boat which I will be towing up next May to MD from FL and I am dying to test out the new tunes with 12,000 lbs behind me.

This is my Ipad mounted on a flexible mount which can be moved swiveld and placed jsut about anywhere up front. I fins it easiest to use where it is in the picture. But its the biggest GPS screen around and has plenty of music on it

This was a custom built steering wheel with wood to match the dash since the king ranch leather was falling apart and got sticky when it was humid

My guage setup which are small and hidden since I don't like the pillar guages very much and would rather have a handle there. The small guage is an EGT guage.

The new boat. This isn't a picture of our sinces its not done yet but same color scheme. Its a 32ft Intrepid with twin 300 Mercurys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I wish I could get you to talk to some of my customers.....

I agree, I like a 6.0. They are good engines when you get all the bugs worked out of them. Most of the times when a truck comes in my shop it's got about 3 things wrong with them, like low FICM voltage, plugged oil cooler, blown EGR cooler or injector issues. Most people will run them till they won't move anymore. So by the time the truck is straightened out the bill is pretty salty and people are disgusted with the truck.

If people took a little bit better care of the trucks and had a little more knowledge about them they could save a lot of heartache and have a great truck. Really with all the new emissions standards all the trucks have became more finicky and fragile.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great looking truck! I'm partial as I have the same year, same wheels and paint scheme only green instead of black. Which lift did you go with? I like the ride height and look of your set up.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I know a lot of people with the 7.3l that didn't do any maintainence, not even change the oil. And the truck lasted them over 200k miles before the tranny went out. I think a lot of people switching over to the 6.0l just dont care as much about maintainence and it just breaks down this motor really fast. Plus with the 6.0l one problem leads to the other especially when the problem as you said is neglected. I agree about the emissions stuff though and dont want any of it on my truck. However if ford, which they eventually will, could make an engine that runs flawlessy and bulletproof with emission equipment then im fine with it.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
I wish I could get you to talk to some of my customers.....

I agree, I like a 6.0. They are good engines when you get all the bugs worked out of them. Most of the times when a truck comes in my shop it's got about 3 things wrong with them, like low FICM voltage, plugged oil cooler, blown EGR cooler or injector issues. Most people will run them till they won't move anymore. So by the time the truck is straightened out the bill is pretty salty and people are disgusted with the truck.

If people took a little bit better care of the trucks and had a little more knowledge about them they could save a lot of heartache and have a great truck. Really with all the new emissions standards all the trucks have became more finicky and fragile.
Unfortunately I believe this is exactly why the 6.0 has the bad rap that it does. Owner ignorance and negligence for whatever reason seems to be the major problem as you noted.

I too love my 6.0 and have had minimal problems with it though I have put a lot into bulletproofing and modding. I wouldn't trade it for any of the trucks currently available on the market.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Ford View Post
Great looking truck! I'm partial as I have the same year, same wheels and paint scheme only green instead of black. Which lift did you go with? I like the ride height and look of your set up.

Thanks
Its a ready lift leveling kit with 4" blocks in the rear. Its still has some rake to it since I tow. Its not as bad as a 350 but maybe slightly less rake then a stock 250.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice looking truck. You did the mods that I'm getting ready to do, just buying one part at a time, as money allows.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Amazing looking truck And good story. I agree with everything that is already said about the 6.0s. My blue truck lasted 170000 miles with only needing the oil cooler replaced, did the egr delete, STC fitting and upgraded misc parts. Motor purred like a kitten. So I trade it in on another 6.0, crewcab f-350 fully loaded. I just love the 6.0. The new 6.7 pulls reeeaaaalllyy nice, but look at the engine bay, I couldn't imagine working under all that stuff, so after the warranty.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also read a thread under the 6.7 section and they were all missing the way their old 6.0's sounded. Everyone hated how quiet the 6.7 was. My father in law who has a 7.3 says my 6.0 sounds like a gas motor but I think it sounds great and one of my favorite aspects of the truck. Do you have any tunes phantom?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM

awesome setup and good looking boat. i'm fishing on the southwest coast of florida year round. let me know if you need any new spots for your next trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.