New to diesels need some 411 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels need some 411

Hey everyone Im new to diesels and do know a thing about them I got a diesel cause they are they way to go if your pulling or just for play and hauling anyways I dont know a damn thing I dont even know what the glow plugs are haha. So Im wanting to know the info on what to do and what not to do anything from how to start it how to use 4x4 lol yes I said that but Im a mustang guy so Im going to ask some questions and anything that you thing I should know about them let me know please...Im new to this so here I go I noticed my heater didnt work and I read that it maybe low on coolant so I added more and nothing yet, then what is 4lo and 4hi and what do the lockers do and when do you use them how long do I wait to start it and what do I do in the morning starts cause it gets cold in Bakersfield. And when Im pulling a trailers is there anything I need to switch on or use or do so those are my ?s so lease let me know other things I need to know also I almost forgot I have a lite on in my cluster it has 8 dots and a line on top and one on bottom with an arrow to the right side of it what is it and should it be on or is there something wrong I hear its a engine filter light ? ....thanks and please dont reply with rude comments Im new at this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM

I just had my 2006 6.0 ARP Studded with new FORD gaskets (only because I blew mine) new oilcooler with egr delete and new sct fitting while the cab was up. * Make sure if you have your gaskets ARP studded to have the HEADs machined and hydroflexed for cracks and warping. This would generally make a 6.0 bulletproof... SCT tuner is what I run and I havent lost to a dodge yet... not to many chevys to worry about :-P
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM

oh sorry also... You have to get rid of the FORD gold coolant bull crap*** and flush it with ELC Extended Life Coolant if i am not mistaken is what it is... I have ZEREX ELC makes sure it has to be CONCENTRATE CAT EC-1 rated red coolant is generally the best.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Read the first link in my sig. It is stuff you ought to know.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM

DAMN thanks pgreensvt bud that was a good run down I love it. how do I flush my coolant can I get some ste by stes I dont want to mess anything up
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150lariat View Post
Hey everyone Im new to diesels and do know a thing about them I got a diesel cause they are they way to go if your pulling or just for play and hauling anyways I dont know a damn thing I dont even know what the glow plugs are haha. So Im wanting to know the info on what to do and what not to do anything from how to start it how to use 4x4 lol yes I said that but Im a mustang guy so Im going to ask some questions and anything that you thing I should know about them let me know please...Im new to this so here I go I noticed my heater didnt work and I read that it maybe low on coolant so I added more and nothing yet
On the passenger side of the truck, you will see the rubber hose leading to the heater core. In that line, there is a valve. There should be a thin gray line going to this valve. It sometimes pops off. Check that out.
Next, what coolant did you add?
Be aware that the markings on the bottle where you added the coolant are incorrect. When the coolant is hot, you should not exceed the top of the "add" line. Lower your coolant level to that mark.

Quote:
what is 4lo and 4hi and what do the lockers do and when do you use them how long do I wait to start it and what do I do in the morning starts cause it gets cold in Bakersfield.
Holy run-on sentence batman! Not trying to be harsh, but punctuation really helps.

4LO and 4HI are (naturally) engaging the 4 wheel drive. The 4LO not only engages the 4 wheel drive, but also a gear reduction. You would use the lower gearing to your advantage in different off-road situations. The 4HI is just engaging the 4 wheel drive system.
Lockers? Unless someone added a locker to your truck, you do not have a locker.
You should wait for the glowplug light on the dash to go out before starting it, squiggly line that lights up in the middle of the dash.

Quote:
And when Im pulling a trailers is there anything I need to switch on or use or do so those are my ?s so lease let me know other things I need to know
On the end of the gear shift, there is a button. When towing, push the button.

Quote:
also I almost forgot I have a lite on in my cluster it has 8 dots and a line on top and one on bottom with an arrow to the right side of it what is it and should it be on or is there something wrong I hear its a engine filter light ? ....thanks and please dont reply with rude comments Im new at this
You need to replace the air filter. One very important thing to know about your air filter is that it is the BEST filter you could possibly have on the truck. Buy a new air filter and put it on and leave the stock air intake system right where it is.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks bud no worries on my run on sentences. Im going to suck in as much info as I can cause I'm already learning a lot. Oh and I added the gold ford coolant which I'm now finding out is bad, where can I find cat ec-1 elc coolant?

Last edited by 5150lariat; 11-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM

I checked the little gray line is still connected to the valve and still nothing

Last edited by 5150lariat; 11-15-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 PM

How do I flush my coolant and also how many gallons do I need of the red stuff
Old 11-20-2011, 02:26 PM

I was researching and I heard that I should start by turning on the truck let it sit with the heater on, then around five minutes later to check the 2 hoses goint to the heater core and if both are hot then the heater core is fine, then it said to go and check the blend door motor under the passenger side and check to see if the gear moves if not then its broken. But my question is how hot or warm are the hoses supposed to be are they supposed to be HOT or warm ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.