Is this BAD? I think It's BAD! (Pic included) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this BAD? I think It's BAD! (Pic included)

So I've only had my truck about a month now, and I emptied some coolant out yesterday because the degas bottle was overfilled. This is what my coolant looks like. I don't think it's the right color, is it?

If I need to flush and put the right stuff in, I'll be honest I DO NOT feel confident whatsoever doing the process. I have read the threads on how to do it and I'm pretty confused. I would say I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but the whole process is pretty confusing to me for some reason. I've only put about 500 miles on truck since I purchased it and who knows how recently this coolant was added. I will say about 30000 miles ago my oasis report showed that the egr cooler and oil cooler were replaced and 15000 miles ago the cooling fan clutch was replaced due to overheating under load. Maybe either of these two times were when the coolant was changed. I dunno. Here's a pic. Let me know what you all think, and Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Is this BAD? I think It's BAD! (Pic included)-img_0297.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
information regurgitator

6.0 + green coolant = BAD BAD BAD

What do you not understand about a flush? It is a fairly simple, yet long, process.
There is a link in my signature that outlines the process very clearly, however in that document, you would disregard the chapter that details the "backflushing" process. That particular portion was written for a different set of circumstances than you have.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 AM

This Blows!!!!! I guess I'll have to look into flushing it. Will I be okay driving it for a little while like this? This is my daily driver and I don't know when I'll have time to get this done. I have a newborn at home, so you all with kids no how that is! I'll check out your link and see if it clears it up for me. If I still have some questions, do you mind me PM'ing you when I get started with the process if I run into some glitches?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
information regurgitator

Sure, you can PM me. If I am not on you can text or call me. I will shoot you a PM with my phone number.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
information regurgitator

And, since I didn't exactly answer your question, running it, while it isn't ideal, won't cause it to blow up or anything. The green coolant lacks additives that this engine needs.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

Now Ford had an additive that recharged the coolant. It was BLUE. Then it turned the yellow into a green color.

But, that just looks like green coolant. (I have never seen the color of the gold mixed with the additive, so I would lean towards it being bad)
Old 11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Green coolant = cavitation = destroyed engine. How long has it been in there?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM

I'm not 100% sure how long it has been in there. Like I said, I've only had the truck about a month and put about 500 miles on it. I will say that the coolant looks extremely clean and new so I don't think it has been in there very long
Old 11-15-2011, 05:38 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Flush it out and replace with CAT ELC red coolant.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

It has already been observed that mixing Motorcraft Premium Gold (yellow) plus the Motorcraft VC-8 recharge (blue) produces a green colored coolant. Green colored does not universally imply bad coolant and green automotive "universal" coolant still provides better cavitation protection than plain water.

The chemical properties that are required for long lasting cavitation protection and corrosion resistance are quickly depleted in automotive "universal" coolants (typically green in color). Even the Motorcraft Premium Gold is only good for about 2-years because it is a nitrite-based coolant. The rule-of-thumb for replacing nitrite-based coolants is "new in two." A recharge would potentially extend the life for another two-years but this is a generic rule (and one not endosed by Ford...which is borne out by the number of coolant protected system failures producing warranty coverage repairs).

The only way to KNOW that the coolant is not providing the expected degree of protection is to test it for the nitrite/carboxylate/molybdate levels (and freeze point, pH, etc.). This may be done with basic test strips available online:
Amazon Amazon
or more complete kits for those who use "modern" Extended Life Coolant with carboxylates/molybdates as the protective chemicals rather than nitrites (as in Premium Gold):
Acustrip Antifreeze Coolant Test Products

I concur that a coolant replacement is in order despite the observation of color as a measure of its effectiveness. I endorse a total system replacement for the fluids and immediate analysis of the used fluids to get a baseline assessment of the vehicle. Here are a few great mail-supported labs:
Blackstone Labs
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.

Keep it cool.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.