Temp delta... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temp delta...

At what point does the delta need to be addressed? After going from the stock tires to the bfgs and the cooler weather, my delta is up to about 7* hitting 8* occasionally on the highway. When will it be coverable under warrenty?

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 05:16 AM

The temp delta is 15* when Ford considers the oil cooler to be shot.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke Techie

When your EGR cooler blows..... Just kidding.

How much longer do you have warranty for, and is it thru Ford? Most of the aftermarket warranties won't cover stuff like oil coolers.

From what I've read the magic number where Ford says there is an issue with the oil cooler is 15 degree deltas though. Really on an 06 up truck with the latest PCM programming it should log a code if ECT/EOT temps get to far apart. I forget what the code number is though.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
P012f is the code set if you have the new strategy
Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 AM

I have the ford esp warrenty and I'm pretty sure I have the original strategy since my turbo will still cycle the vanes at idle which I thought I read was dropped on the later strategies?

I've never seen the delta over 8* yet, but I'm closing in one 10* which has me nervous...

Jason
Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 AM

I brought my truck to the dealership when I was around 11* to 12* deltas and still under extended warranty but the warranty doesn't cover the coolers (worthless warranties!). The dealership advised they didn't see any evidence of a blown EGR cooler but because they had torn it down, I was already 800ish into labor. So I decided to have them finish the job with new EGR and Oil coolers. Upon leaving, my deltas were still 8*-10* and has remained as such after flushing my system and replacing with ELC.

As much as I'd like to get my oil temps closer to match coolant, I'm comfortable with the 8*-10* and even 8*-12* range. When I tow a 16k# load, the truck still is under 15* degree delta at 60 MPH. So again, I'm comfortable.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Good to hear! I'm just not too familiar with these trucks with long term ownership and how quickly problems may progress or if they aren't problems at all.

Jason
Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 AM

Well, when replacing my faulty egr valve, I noticed the soot in my intake manifold getting a little damp.... sinister egr delete on the way. Hopefully I cought it soon enough, the egr valve was still dry, going in the shop thurseday morning for install.

Jason
Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
Well, when replacing my faulty egr valve, I noticed the soot in my intake manifold getting a little damp.... sinister egr delete on the way. Hopefully I cought it soon enough, the egr valve was still dry, going in the shop thurseday morning for install.

Jason
Boy that was quick first one i have see going out at 8* seen them as high as 35* on other posts now they have a problem but it is a good move if you have a problem. Pulling my 14k 5er in 95*+ on a 6% grade about 6 miles long my ECT 218* EOT 228* and the fan sounds like a jet plane but my normal deltas run ECT 194-196* EOT 200*
But if you are going to take it in i would do a coolant flush first and get a coolant filter on ASAP to remove the casting sand. The big problem with these motors in the Ford Gold coolant it can not take the heat so the silicates drop out and plug the oil cooler it is junk need a ELC coolant that is CAT EC-1 Rated.
Check for coolant flushes there are a lot of post on it.
2 stroker
Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Are you actually using any coolant? The intake can have a wet appearance due to oil being recirculated from the closed crankcase ventilation system. It will make the intake look wet and slimy. This is normal. If you're not using/losing any coolant I bet the EGR cooler is still ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.