Tea Kettle Whistle? Only when letting off the gas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tea Kettle Whistle? Only when letting off the gas?

I noticed just recently I have been getting the tea kettle whistle, but only when letting off the gas and for short periods of time. From what I have read, is it most likely a bad degas bottle cap. I have noticed very small amounts of coolant leaking out the cap. It is certainly not " puking " a lot of coolant, just a few drops here and there. Do you all think it is a bad cap? no other symptoms of anything else and I have a 2006 f-250
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycountry16 View Post
I noticed just recently I have been getting the tea kettle whistle, but only when letting off the gas and for short periods of time. From what I have read, is it most likely a bad degas bottle cap. I have noticed very small amounts of coolant leaking out the cap. It is certainly not " puking " a lot of coolant, just a few drops here and there. Do you all think it is a bad cap? no other symptoms of anything else and I have a 2006 f-250
You could start with a new cap but you had better get some gauges sounds like EGR cooler or HGs the new full cold mark is the add mark. You have to know the spread on ECT-EOT max 15* but i think if you are close to 10* doing 60mph after 5-10min on flat ground you have a problem. Something like the http://www.scangauge.com/ or the Edge Insight CTS work well and are great tools.
2 stroker
Old 11-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

So I got the new cap and put it on, haven't had chance to drive yet, but will report back if it clears everything up. I'm really freaking out about this. I don't have extra money right now for big repairs. I just bought the truck used about 2 months ago. 2006 f-250 KR CCLB w/ 113,000 miles on it. Oasis report showed it had new oil cooler and EGR cooler installed about 30000 miles ago under warranty. I have had no white smoke or other symptoms of blown HG's. Truck has been running perfectly aside from this whistle.

I was planning on buying an edge insight CTS anyway, just wasn't planning on this soon. Like I said, I have no extra money at the moment. I guess I'll have to work something out to at least get the CTS to check my temps. This could be my worst nightmare!!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Also, maybe I have too much coolant in degas bottle. I don't have the sticker on my degas bottle denoting the different min max and when engine is cold, the coolant is filled to the max label on the bottle
Old 11-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Yes the Edge Insight is a great tool you will know where you stand when it comes to the temps get it sooner than later. Hope it all works out for you.
2 stroker
Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 PM

I would like to know the outcome of the new cap. I am not having the yea kettle sound, but as you described, I am having a few drops here and there leaking out of degas bottle through cap. No other symptoms, and my CTS shows my temps to be well within the range.

2006 F250 Lariat FX4:
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Blue FPR Spring
Edge Insight CTS
1200rpm High Idle Mod
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
58v Swamps FICM
SCT w/ Matt's SRL Tune
Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM

The coolant must be at the add mark when COLD this is the new full mark Ford has a new sticked to install on the oil degasing tank i'm told i just use the ADD mark.
2 stroker
Old 11-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

well if I'm at the max mark when cold could this be why I am getting some coolant coming out of the bottle? Maybe it has too much coolant in it
Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 PM
information regurgitator

Yep, it could be as simple as that.
I actually run the coolant a little lower than that, I run it at the add mark when HOT.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Mine used to do that. EGR was shot. Could be something else in your case but its prob the cap, egr cooler, or headgaskets, or a combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.