Trailer brake issues. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer brake issues.

Had to pull my 16ft utility trailer yesterday and the alarm or chime whatever you wanna call it kept going off while driving. The trailer on the factory trailer brake would flash red and where the odometer is would show check trailer. I pulled over and checked everything and it looked good. I use the trailer on a regular basis and its done it before but yesterday the alarm kept going off every few minutes. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 03:53 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Mine gets mad at me every now and then. Is the ground looking ok? I found that my trailer wires were crap and green. Now this is on the 18' hauler.

On my boat..... it doesnt even work unless it gets re wired every year. CRAP!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:27 PM

I had the same issue, after some major research i found it out to be the ground. for a quick fix i took a flat 4 pin trailer harness and grounded out the connector to the frame of trailer and the other on the truck, but i did them backward as commpaird to a normal trailer hook up. ( put the male connector on the truck side ) so no one would hook it up to the lights by mistake and pop fuse. since then ive never had the "check trailer annoying bell again" im going to find the ground in both trailer side and truck and just rewire them so it will look more professial.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Did you fix this yet?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When we get those problems at work, check the wiring and plugs first. Then check your brakes.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Yes sir Galaxie, I have. find you trailer ground and make sure its a sure enough no joke ground. ive found that some trailer manufatures dont use a heavy enough gauge wire for the ground. i know it sounds crazy but it is for real. some trailers will use a small wire but its grounded close to the hitch so there isnt much wire needed. others may be far down the trailer somewhere. I know it doesnt sound right but its kinda the same princible of useing a test lead that is very small and trying to make it carry a current to test somthing like a light, and it just cant power it. Same on the truck just make sure the pins on the connectors are clean i spray WD40 in it and works fine. and check the truck ground to. havent had anymore issues except when one of my crews drug the plug the road and wore off the lock tab. Hopes this helps you guys! C.B
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 AM

my trailer light was doing the same thing now everytime i start truck its say ebc fault !!! electronic brake controller is going out ! for the longest time i thought it was the boat but hooked up to a buddies truck and they worked like they were suppose too. so could this still be a ground issue ???
the controller actually works a little i have to set it on ten (which is way off from before) and if i have to make a panic stop i can manually activate them!!! STROKEDIS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.