Cutting/welding the frame... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cutting/welding the frame...

Well I've been tossing around the idea, of buying a single cab long bed. 4x4, pad, and cutting the frame to allow for a shortbed, then cutting the frame on my current truck and lengthen it to allow me to swap beds...

Is this do-able? As long as its done right, maybe boxing in the frame around the cuts??

I'm looking to build a drag truck, and also make my truck a CcLb,..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
long bed to short is one thing, but short bed to long sounds iffy. I wouldn't wanna tow much with the short bed conversion much less the LB conversion.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 AM

The shortbed conversion would be strictly a 1/4 mile truck, so no towing for it. The lb conversion would use the same piece of frame cut from the longbed, so I had the correct lengths, Then after welding it in, I would fully box in the frame a good 4 feet where the welded piece was.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 AM

What kind of welder are you going to use? Whatever the case may be you will need to make sure you get a good burn in which it sounds like you know. You going to use c channel to box the frame? Using c channel would definitely keep the frame from fatiguing but it still falls back to the welds. Keep me posted, I want to do the same thing to my little beater.

-Matt H

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You might try talking to Gene Feldhans; he goes by the screen name of weweld on many of the forums. You can say he has done some frame modifications to a few racing trucks.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
You might try talking to Gene Feldhans; he goes by the screen name of weweld on many of the forums. You can say he has done some frame modifications to a few racing trucks.
That's a fitting screen name.

-Matt H

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerformanceMachineMFG View Post
What kind of welder are you going to use? Whatever the case may be you will need to make sure you get a good burn in which it sounds like you know. You going to use c channel to box the frame? Using c channel would definitely keep the frame from fatiguing but it still falls back to the welds. Keep me posted, I want to do the same thing to my little beater.

-Matt H

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I would not be doing the welding myself, I know "how" to weld, but I would never trust myself to doing something like that. But I have a buddy that is very experienced in welding, and knows a lot about boxing frames and such...

I just want to make sure it can withstand a 1000+ hp diesel...
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It isn't necessary to box the frame. There have been a couple of conversions here on the org if you look around. Very cool to have a reg cab short bed SD.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM

I havent looked at my SD but my 2000 F150 the frame is actually rivited together right behind the bed. There is also a crossmember at that connection. Maybe its the same way on the SD. You could just bolt it back together what ever way you want... wouldnt hurt to run a bead at the connection also
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

i would be scared to do this. im sure you know a welder around your parts somewhere. people cut and extend tractor trailer frames all the time and they are good for 80,000lbs. that has to mean something. or bit the bullet and trailer it to a shop and have them weld it. i dont think you would have to box it. jut reinforce it with a plate on the outside maby 3 feet long areound the weld. but im not a pro welder by anymeans soo....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.