newby that needs advice and powerstroke knowledge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
newby that needs advice and powerstroke knowledge

Hey everyone im new to the site and soon to be a first time ford owner. I have had chevys all my life but now its go big or go home, im a contractor and plow snow in the winter I need power and dependability. I need some advice on a truck im about to purchase from my step father. It is a 2006 f250 with the problem child 6.0 in it yet I've heard there are ways to make the motor pretty much as true if not better than the old 7.3. I was told if I put an egr delete kit,cool air intake,mbrp turbo back 4" exhaust,and a arp. Stud kit in, with the power pup chip that is already in the truck that I will be taking care of most of the issuesand will be in the area of 20mpg. Is this a true statement or have I been told wrong. Im not here to build a racer I want to have a good work horse since I pull large loads but I want it to be a dependable long life vehicle. Any input or suggestions. Would be great. I was also told that keeping up on regular maintenance will be keep the motor in tip top shape with no worries as any vehicle would lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How many miles does it have? Ditch the intake idea, you cant beat the factory intake, they say its good for up to 500+ hp. I'd start with the egr delete, replace the oil cooler then do a coolant filter. If your up for it do the Head studs they're a good idea. Tuner wise most will tell you not to go with anything except an sct x3 with some custom tunes on it, as for 20mpg, good luck, you can get it if you drive like a g-ma but avg. no...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You don't need the CAI, do the oil cooler and EGR delete/ studs at the same time, get an edge insight cts/ sct x3, combo for monitor/ tune, and go down a hill doing 60, and put it in neutral... Your cts. Instant mpg will read 99, other than that, expect 16
Old 11-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would wait on the studs unless the factory bolts are shot. That is a huge chunk of change unless you want over 420hp.

For sure with the egr delete and cts/x3 combo. Do a coolant flush and replace with extended life coolant(ELC) with caterpillar's EC-1 rating. Unless the oil cooler is clogged, run that until the oil and coolant temperature difference is 15* or more, then replace the oil cooler. And put a coolant filter on as well.

And do the blue spring for the fuel pressure regulator and the 6.4 banjo bolts for the heads. Other than that, general maintenance and she'll be good to go.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the Org!!!

Read this link to get you started.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

This next link will let you get familiar with parts and locations.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...eTableBook.pdf

And this link gets into more detail on "bulletproofing".
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

The first thing that should be done is, find a way or buy a gauge/monitor solution to check your ECT/EOT delta.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hammer View Post
How many miles does it have? Ditch the intake idea, you cant beat the factory intake, they say its good for up to 500+ hp. I'd start with the egr delete, replace the oil cooler then do a coolant filter. If your up for it do the Head studs they're a good idea. Tuner wise most will tell you not to go with anything except an sct x3 with some custom tunes on it, as for 20mpg, good luck, you can get it if you drive like a g-ma but avg. no...
It will have120,000-130,000 on it when I purchase it this spring.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM

The edge insight that is just a monitor correct? And how hard is to install is it as easy as plugging in or do I have to add sensors myself for the unit. My father inlaw is talking me into a module from doctor performance which he knows and has done alot of business w and has had great luck, instead of a programmer is this a wise decision or not?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by danr View Post
The edge insight that is just a monitor correct? And how hard is to install is it as easy as plugging in or do I have to add sensors myself for the unit. My father inlaw is talking me into a module from doctor performance which he knows and has done alot of business w and has had great luck, instead of a programmer is this a wise decision or not?
The Edge Insight CS/CTS is just a monitor, and it's plug and play. Now if you want to read EGT and fuel psi, then you will have to add the EGT probe to the exhaust manifold, and Fuel psi sending unit in the test port.

For a programmer, and the 6.0, SCT with custom tune is the way to go. If he doesn't believe you, have him search any 6.0 diesel forum for this info.

The only other programmer I would suggest for the 6.0 would be from Power Hungry Performance, it's the Gryphon.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 AM

Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks for everyones input, i was surprised to hear you say not to change the intake im new to fords and looking forward to owning my firstlife dieselJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.