Oil cooler woes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler woes

Well I decided to monitor the temps again with my scan program just to make sure that they were ok. I actually got on the highway this time and ran it for about twenty minutes. My delta went up to about 20 degrees! So I called my dad to talk with him about it and what I should do. I will either try to tackle it myself over thanksgiving break or just get everything done at once.(studs, egr, oil cooler, etc.) This sucks!

In other news, the new tunes from IDP are awesome but I still have yet to lay into it all the way. I need to order a monitoring system either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 03:03 PM
information regurgitator

That section of highway was flat?
You were travelling around 60MPH?
Your truck was unloaded?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM

I was doing 60mph. Just me in the truck with my truck box in the bed like ever other day. Oil temp went to 197 and coolant temp was at 178 when they were fathest apart. There were hills and turns involved but never came out of overdrive. I don't really live in a place with flat roads near it unfortunately. Maybe I was just freaking out over nothing but with all I have read lately I'd rather try and not blow this thing up Thanks for all the input lately NYC. It is MUCH appreciated!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Yea sounds like you have the signs of oil cooler restriction. Get the oil cooler and egr cooler replaced asap.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:37 PM
information regurgitator

Differing loads placed on the engine (hills, curves, speeding up) will give you a different end result. 20F delta when cresting a hill isn't unheard of...depending on the hill.
If you were on the flattest section you can find and average out the delta and find in the 20F range, it might be time to consider doing the replacement.
The best thing to do in the weeks before is the 2 chemical flush (Restore and Restore+) using distilled water and then changing the coolant to a CAT EC-1 rated coolant. Check out the flushing document linked in my signature line. Disregard any mention of the 'reverse' flushing, as that procedure will not help in your situation. The reverse flush parts were written for those that, for one reason or another, were unable to effectively flush their cooling system prior to replacing the oil cooler, performed the flush after, and have a very high delta right from the get-go.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's possible that it is oil cooler replacement time but it is definitely thermostat replacement time. Your truck should be at 190+ when checking delta. 178 is too cold for a true result.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
It's possible that it is oil cooler replacement time but it is definitely thermostat replacement time. Your truck should be at 190+ when checking delta. 178 is too cold for a true result.
Yep couldnt agree more. Missed the coolant temp in your last post
Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I'll check the calibration of the gauges tomorrow after the truck has sat all night. If they read the same then I'll go give it a longer test run and try to find some flat highway. I'll post the results tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 AM

Ordered an Edge Insight CS with EGT probe last night so that should be here beginning of next week. I checked the ECT/EOT this morning after the truck has sat all night. ECT was 64F and EOT was 66.2F. I can't wait to get the Insight so I can monitor what is going on all of the time. What thermostat do you all recommend so that I can get that ordered today?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250SixOH View Post
Ordered an Edge Insight CS with EGT probe last night so that should be here beginning of next week. I checked the ECT/EOT this morning after the truck has sat all night. ECT was 64F and EOT was 66.2F. I can't wait to get the Insight so I can monitor what is going on all of the time. What thermostat do you all recommend so that I can get that ordered today?
I would use an OE stat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.