Weird noise between 1100-1500 RPM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird noise between 1100-1500 RPM

So i started to hear this skreetching noise coming from my truck while driving. Most of the time it happens when im just cruising and at low idle at around 1100-1500 RPMS ( 35-40 MPH ). I thought it was the turbo, so i popped the hood and rev'd it at all different RPMS. Sounded normal. It only happens while moving. Checked the belt, its tight and has good groove still. When i let off the throttle it goes away while cruising. I thought it might be an axle. It only happens while cruising. At any other RPM theres no sound. It sometimes gets really loud and its damn annoying. What the hell can this be. Sounds like two old pieces of rusty metal being rubbed together kind of fast. Like nails on a chalk board almost.

Should i pull the intake and check the compressor wheel? It just started doing this 2 days ago. Maybe a brake problem? Like a rotor or pad sticking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had a similar issue once, it was the compressor wheel.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Was it loose? I have a Pmax that isnt too old. I always let the truck cool down atleast 5-10 mins after running it hard or even just running it
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Yes, there was side/side play on the shaft causing the wheel to make contact with the housing.

Since your PM is fairly new, it might not be that. Check your idler pullies for excessive play, along with the AC pulley and power steering pullies. If they check out OK, take a look at the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. If that's OK. Then check your wheel hub bearings.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Did you have to replace the turbo? or have it rebuilt. Hope its not that, i use this truck everyday for work. If it was this problem, wouldn't it still make noise at idle or while in park with someone reving the engine?

Ill check out all the pullies tomorrow, maybe one needs to be lubricated or might be loose/screwed up like you said. Its just so hard to tell where the noise is coming from to narrow it down.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03two50 View Post
Did you have to replace the turbo? or have it rebuilt. Hope its not that, i use this truck everyday for work. If it was this problem, wouldn't it still make noise at idle or while in park with someone reving the engine?

Ill check out all the pullies tomorrow, maybe one needs to be lubricated or might be loose/screwed up like you said. Its just so hard to tell where the noise is coming from to narrow it down.
I replaced mine with the II hybrid turbo, mine only did it at a certain RPM and with a load on the motor. It wouldn't do it in park.

Check everything out tomorrow, no need to jump to conclusions.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Today i did some digging. Pulled the intake, very very very small shaft play. Not enough to move and grind into the housing. Spun the wheel, wasn't warped, all the fins look great and clean. Cleaned the air filter and reset the thing on the intake tube. Then lubricated all my u-joints and other various bearing/moving points in the suspension. Couldn't really get to the tensioner pullies, so i figured id try that stuff first. Noise went away, took it on the highway, drove about 20 miles and got off. Started to very very lightly do it again when i was off just slowly cruising around town. Only does it at like preciously 1200-1300 rpms. Anything more or less and it goes away. Mostly does it at lower speeds too now, around 25-30 mph

So now im thinking its a pulley. Should i soak them in WD-40, or take the belt off and check them to see if ones not spinning freely?

The noise was definitely worse before i did all the above. I'm not certain it still isn't the compressor wheel because there is such minimum play in the shaft. Ive seen some wobble and have a lot of play. Also, if its grinding against the housing, wouldn't i hear it through the exhaust as well?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Soaking or spraying the bearings really won't help because they are sealed bearings.

Basically to check them, your gonna look for signs of grease splatter coming from the bearing area. You will have idler pullies which are fixed solid to the motor, and a tension pulley or pullies of you have a dual alternator set up. If you don't see any signs of grease splatter, then you gonna want to remove the belt and check the pullies for play and free spin.

Once you find the bad bearing, you can either buy the pulley with bearing that is ready to install, or pop out the bad bearing and replace just the bearing.

If you choose to just replace the bearing, here is a link with the bearing part number for the idler pulley.

Kinda a "how to" for 6.0 2003 ribbed pulley bearing replacement

The bearing number for the tension pulley is a 6203, or 6203V195 made by NTN.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Soaking or spraying the bearings really won't help because they are sealed bearings.

Basically to check them, your gonna look for signs of grease splatter coming from the bearing area. You will have idler pullies which are fixed solid to the motor, and a tension pulley or pullies of you have a dual alternator set up. If you don't see any signs of grease splatter, then you gonna want to remove the belt and check the pullies for play and free spin.

Once you find the bad bearing, you can either buy the pulley with bearing that is ready to install, or pop out the bad bearing and replace just the bearing.

If you choose to just replace the bearing, here is a link with the bearing part number for the idler pulley.

Kinda a "how to" for 6.0 2003 ribbed pulley bearing replacement

The bearing number for the tension pulley is a 6203, or 6203V195 made by NTN.

Thank you! I'm going to try this out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.