High idle mod time, few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High idle mod time, few questions

Like the title, I'm ready to save my truck from this wretched winter and do the mod. Does anyone have pics of the finished mod? Would I be using the BCP wire to keep the rpm at 1200 or do I use the SEIC wire so it can vary? I just assumed the BCP wire because I personally haven't heard a truck high idle around 1800-2400 rpm, that would be for emergency vehicles correct?
How does the BCP wire know to limit the rpm? Why couldn't Ford have installed this for us? :p

Anyways thats all I got. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Hooking up high idle w/upfitter switches - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

High Idle Mod

These are pretty good write ups. One has some pics the components and locations too. The other one explains the difference in the two wires. It takes 20 mins tops.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberdelta View Post
Hooking up high idle w/upfitter switches - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

High Idle Mod

These are pretty good write ups. One has some pics the components and locations too. The other one explains the difference in the two wires. It takes 20 mins tops.
Agreed. Really simple mod. I used the BCP wire like was suggested in on of the HOWTOs. Works like a champ!

Here's a (crappy) pic of mine:

And a link to my thread about what I did.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM
information regurgitator

I don't have a switch on my high idle at all. I found a 12 volt source that is switched on with the key. I installed an inline fuse in the feed and connected it to the purple with a green stripe wire. Now, every time I set my e-brake, have the truck in park, and keep my foot off the regular brake, my high idle kicks in by itself.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM

That sounds like a great idea NYC, but I'm a buttons and switches kind of guy :p thanks for the info folks
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM

I used my e-brake for my switch also. I use the BPM wire, as I have to jump-start equipment from time to time and it works like its supposed to.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 PM

Im wanting to do this mod but was wondering, if i hook it up to my upfitter switch will i still need to apply parking break on my 05? Also in winter when my truck is cold it will high idle by itself (assuming factory as its done this since ive had it) and once it warms up it idles back down. Will this feature still work normal when upfitter switch is off?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
I don't have a switch on my high idle at all. I found a 12 volt source that is switched on with the key. I installed an inline fuse in the feed and connected it to the purple with a green stripe wire. Now, every time I set my e-brake, have the truck in park, and keep my foot off the regular brake, my high idle kicks in by itself.
I like the idea of the e brake being the switch, kinda seems pointless to have two switches. I was reading the write up in the 6.0 mod section, Engine Idle Mod (How To With Pics) basically as i understand the write up your just connecting the the 2 wires together with a switch in the middle, couldn't you just connect the 2 wires so there always "on" then the e brake would be the only switch?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedstroker View Post
Im wanting to do this mod but was wondering, if i hook it up to my upfitter switch will i still need to apply parking break on my 05? Also in winter when my truck is cold it will high idle by itself (assuming factory as its done this since ive had it) and once it warms up it idles back down. Will this feature still work normal when upfitter switch is off?

Yes you need to still apply the parking brake. The truck will auto 'idle up' to about 1000 after 130 seconds I believe, the BCP high idle mod gives you the option of bumping it up to 1200 (or higher if it needs to). The auto 'idle up' will still work when the upfitter is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmitchell111 View Post
I like the idea of the e brake being the switch, kinda seems pointless to have two switches. I was reading the write up in the 6.0 mod section, http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...-how-pics.html basically as i understand the write up your just connecting the the 2 wires together with a switch in the middle, couldn't you just connect the 2 wires so there always "on" then the e brake would be the only switch?
I'm pretty sure that is what NYC is saying, he hooked the BCP wire a power source and then the only switch is the e-brake.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedstroker View Post

I don,t have upfitter switches I just used a toggle, but my factory high idle still works. I usually wait till it kicks on till I flip my switch on, since it is set to kick on at that temp I figure it is a good time to kick it up a notch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.