Where did this oil come from??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where did this oil come from???

So I went to change the oil on my truck and noticed this on the intake tube. I'm almost positive that it came from the engine somewhere. I do the maintenance on my truck and I don't think I dripped it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its most likely getting pushed out of your cold side tube. I can see the boot on your turbo is covered in oil to, Im betting all your inter-cooler tubes and the inter-cooler have oil in them too
Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 AM

I'm not sure where/what the cold side tube is...?

I know that oil up in the turbo and tubes is common and the re-route can help but my setup is all stock. Does this look excessive? I know that I can have a boot blow off because of this. Other than that is this a problem?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 AM
information regurgitator

The cold side tube is just to the right of where you are pointing. The oil that you are pointing to indicates that the boot on that connection is either loose or failing (or the one that boot replaced was and the elbow was not cleaned). The boot coming off your turbo could also be replaced. It is supposed to be bright blue, and the gunk on the outside of it is actually oil that has been pushed through the boot from the inside by boost pressure. Oil breaks down the silicone that the boots are made of, making the boots porous. The gunk is road grime sticking to the oil.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Ohh ok now I know what the cold side tube is.

So I had to pull that tube back when I installed my fuel pressure monitor. So maybe it's just a little funk from then. I tugged on the tube and it did not come off. I'll make sure to get these boot replaced before we go on a long trip.

Can you still drive the truck if a boot blows off?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 AM
information regurgitator

You sure could try, but it will smoke like nobodys business and be gutless as hell.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
You sure could try, but it will smoke like nobodys business and be gutless as hell.
I should have asked the question a little different. If I am 1-2 miles from home can I get there slowly without damaging something?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 AM
information regurgitator

I don't think it would run that long if it popped off all the way. If it tore or ripped open, it would.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That is not the common boot that blows off and you probably won't ever have a problem with it. The hot side coming off the turbo is usually what comes off or gets ripped (I can see yours is soaked with oil from the pic). The cac provides a slight restriction so naturally the hot side tube always has more pressure in it, not to mention the extra heat and oil it gets from the turbo

You should change the hot side boot on the turbo before anything else. yours isn't looking too good

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 11-06-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it will continue to run with it off...

I know for a fact mine did for about 5-6 miles as i drove it back to the dealer. I had just picked the truck up from getting the hpop replaced. I had just got on the highway and was accelerating into traffic when i heard a tremendous boom! followed but a loud hair dryer sound and no boost on the boost gauge. i was not able to maintain more then 50 mph, and the truck did have some smoke, but not bad, as i wasnt flooring it.

After i got back off the hwy, the truck ran ok at low to moderate speeds. It had no balls what so ever. but by taking my time it ran ok, and got me back to the dealer. it idle'd ok, but was very noisy. The diesel mechanic knew what happened as soon as he heard me pulling it and walked out of his bay.

Turns out he didnt completely secure the cold side clamp leading to the intercooler, and the boost blew it off. No damage to the truck, service manager handed me a coupon for a free oil change for the truck while i was waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.