Sell or Part Out? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sell or Part Out?

I have a 2003 F250 6.0l that hydro-locked (on fuel) on cylinder #3 and needs to be replaced according the dealer. The truck had 210k miles when this happened. I am heart broken but must decide what to do. I am not willing or capable of doing the work the myself right now so I am debating selling the truck as is or parting it out. The truck is a crew cab short bed, has a good trans (Torqflight), 4x4, and LOTS of new parts. I spent around $4k this summer on new parts including Sinisiter FICM (800), EGR Delete Kit w/new oil cooler ($665), HPOP (700), 4 injectors (800)(cylinders 2,4,6,8), an SCT Tuner to read codes (350), and the 2 oil pressure sensor units on the HPOP from Ford (~600). They all have less than 5k miles on them. I also have a stock of factory oil and fuel filters that I never got the chance to use

Here are my questions:

If I sell it as is what is it worth? Its an XLT with a camper shell and the front end is almost all new (ball joints, hubs/bearings, U-joints on front axle done last summer).

If I part it out is ebay a good option for selling parts? Other ideas?

I have learned a ton from the postings on this website and appreciate the information and friendship that is apparent in the writings. Without the guidance you all have provided I would not have been to able to keep the truck running as long as it did.

Thanks for any ideas or input you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
information regurgitator

Very vague on what the issue with the engine is. It needs a new piston? A new injector?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Definitely take it somewhere for a second opinion. Unless damage was done, you can have it fixed and the other 4 injectors replaced as a better option. Where are you located? You never know if the dealership is just trying to make a sale.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 PM

From the looks of it the #3 piston/rod combo needs to be replaced
Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM

How did you determine that?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM
one day at a time

It's quite possible that the rod is bent, maybe the piston could be junk too. But I don't think you need a new motor. It could easily be fixed. Depends on where you take it for the work but could be done for a few thousand pretty easily IMO. Depends on how crazy or how little you want to do while it's tore down.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
How did you determine that?
Because in his first sentence he said the engine hydro locked via the 3 hole and "it" needed to be replaced. I don't read that as an injector is needed as someone else said
Old 11-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninmike View Post
Because in his first sentence he said the engine hydro locked via the 3 hole and "it" needed to be replaced. I don't read that as an injector is needed as someone else said
I think it is important to get a second opinion before diagnosing bent rods, etc. Plenty of hydrolocks that did not result in that extent of damage.

The hydrolock can probably be cleared by removing the #3 glow plug and turning over the engine (just stay away from the area if you are cranking it - fuel can be propelled rapidly out of the hole).

Last edited by bismic; 11-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All - Thanks for the replies. To add more info, the dealer said they believed the #3 injector opened up and flooded the cylinder with fuel and that "the #3 cylinder wall was scored and that given the miles engine replacement was their recommendation". The symptoms just prior to locking up were 2 instances of "stumbling", like it was missing severely. These lasted just a second or two. The first occurred about 2 minutes before the second, with the second one ending with the lock up.

I live in northern New Mexico. The dealer is located in Santa Fe, NM. I don't know of any other options for mechanics in this area. Can anyone suggest someone? This job is beyond my capabilities if it involves pistons/rods/etc. or at least the scope intimidates the heck out of me. I never considered the motives of the dealer as someone suggested. Is it probable that if the injector did "open up" as they stated that a new injector is all that is needed? How could a tech have determined the cylinder wall was scored unless he pulled the head (which I do not believe they did)?

Your perspectives and experience is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 AM
information regurgitator

The right boroscope could have a look inside the cylinder. Whether or not they actually did that...who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
parting out, parts, rebuild, sell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.