Emissions testing- will I pass? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Emissions testing- will I pass?

Pretty simple topic. Anyone pass the plug in portion of the emissions test in CT (or else where?)?

I know I will fail the visual if they look for a cat, but will they look for an EGR. And if they dont, will my Innovative tunes that delete the EGR code pass the computer scan portion?

Or do I need to go buy an EGR, put my cat back in, and put the tunes to stock to pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Cant help with where you are but if they are anything like out here, they wont have a clue as to what has been removed. The cat could be problematic if they look specifically for one (they do here), but under the hood they will look for obvious holes that havent been filled. I run a hypermax tune but the plug in portion never shows anything. I am running on last one 7% opacity and the standard I think they said is 25%. I do have egr and cat installed.

Like most gov't required testing its all in the $$$$$ not really anything else. I would suggest you go to a local diesel shop and ask your questions, or look to see if they have a group from your state as a club. I think FTE does, not sure of this one.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

You might want to check on your state's motor vehicle department's website to see if they have any info about the inspections.

Here in CA, when I had mine done, the tech climbed all over the truck looking all over the engine. My truck came as a non-cat truck, so I didn't have to worry about that. Here, they do a smoke test to see if it smokes too badly or not. Really has nothing to do with emissions.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 AM

in cali, i passed the under the hood visual with a egr cooler delete, their focus was for the egr valve being in place and plugged in, i too have a cat delete, install the cat, and that should take care of the exhaust part, sounds like your tuner can turn off the egr sufficient flow. the bast advise is "don't volunteer information" if you are not asked don't tell. see if you can get a pre inspection. good luck
Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
the SCT will "block" the states computer so they cant talk and you will fail emissions, here in MA its only a saftey check so i leave mine tuned so the CEL stays off
Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Just register your truck here in Montana where we have no emissions. You don't even have to live here to register your vehicle here! Just sayin'
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

subcribing
Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM
information regurgitator

Out in the parking lot of the inspection station, or just down the block, revert back to your stock programming. It takes a while for the EGR flow code to appear (at least 30 minutes).
Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman02232 View Post
the SCT will "block" the states computer so they cant talk and you will fail emissions, here in MA its only a saftey check so i leave mine tuned so the CEL stays off

Are you sure in mass they only do visual inspection? I also live in mass and was worried for when I plan to do egr delete and whatnot....
Old 11-05-2011, 02:38 PM

350's in CT are exempt..

but theyre retards when it comes to testing diesel in CT, my brothers duramax tuned with egr delete straight pipe etc passes no problem...

if you need a place i know of a good place to test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.