Opinions on new FICM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on new FICM

Hey guys. I have seen as low as 38V from my FICM during a cold start. Im looking to replace it asap and not sure what FICM to go with. Theres a local shop here that sells Swamps FICM. Im just unsure if I should get a 48V or is it worth it to jump up and get a 58V? Also is it worth it to get a tuned FICM? I was told if I am running a SCT tuner it isnt worth it to get a tuned FICM because the SCT tune will overwrite the FICM tune. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No it is not. Get the 58v for sure. As for the programming you will notice more difference without a custom tune but the tune doesn't over write the FICM and it is still beneficial.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
PGreenSVT said it right. I have a Swamps FICM and love it, but I wished I would have gone with the mild tuning that was available. As far as the 58 vs 48 goes, you really can't go wrong there. Personally, at the time I went with the 48 to play it safe. I do not regret that decision. I am not looking into getting the mild tuning and the ECM rollback from PHP to match the FICM strategy.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM

The shop im dealing with is a dealer for Swamps. I have decided I am going to get the 58V FICM. He says he has them in stock so I could walk out with one tomorrow. But before I do I am going to ask him if he can order me a 58V FICM from swamps with a PHP tune in it since he doesn't stock any tuned FICM's. If he can I may go that route especially since my truck hasn't had a SCT tune on it for a long time and it spends most of its time stock. I think because of that I would benefit from having my FICM tuned. Another question for you guys. My ECM strategy is VXCF4DC...do you think I would benefit having a ECM rollback? From what Ive read that strategy is supposedly one of the better ones so Im thinking a rollback wouldnt be worth it.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Most people roll back to the strategy you have
Old 11-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Well I bought and installed a 58V swamps FICM on saturday. Install was very easy and took about 20 minutes to move degas bottle to the side and swap the FICM's. Truck seems to idle quieter and smoother. Started it this morning after sitting all night and it romped once or twice and idled smooth....and no more smoke and strong fuel smell. First thing I noticed after my cold start was my insight read 44.5V and I freaked thinking this FICM was going out too...but then I remembered this is a 58 volt FICM and the insight wont see that. So my question is what are you guys with the 58V FICM setting your alert at? And am I right to assume that when im driving down the road my insight says 48V but my ficm is actually 58V so after my cold start i saw 44.5V on my insight which means my ficm was putting out 54.5V?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0DSLPWR View Post
Well I bought and installed a 58V swamps FICM on saturday. Install was very easy and took about 20 minutes to move degas bottle to the side and swap the FICM's. Truck seems to idle quieter and smoother. Started it this morning after sitting all night and it romped once or twice and idled smooth....and no more smoke and strong fuel smell. First thing I noticed after my cold start was my insight read 44.5V and I freaked thinking this FICM was going out too...but then I remembered this is a 58 volt FICM and the insight wont see that. So my question is what are you guys with the 58V FICM setting your alert at? And am I right to assume that when im driving down the road my insight says 48V but my ficm is actually 58V so after my cold start i saw 44.5V on my insight which means my ficm was putting out 54.5V?
I don't know about all that sorry....
but id like to see if the new FICM will increase your MPG. Im really thinking about either rolling back my strategy or gettin a 58v or even both (money permitting)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The insight should read 50.0v for ficm voltage. I have the 58v with tune and it reads 50.0v. I have checked mine with a voltmeter and it reads 58.2v every way to test(key on engine off, cranking, running, etc....) There is definitley something wrong with that ficm.

Did the connectors go in very tight or was there some play in them?

I have the vxcf4 strategy and it works fine, no need to roll back.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Check voltage while cranking. It probably does read 44.5 while cranking.

But after that should read 50. Unless your batteries are weak
Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Premium Member

I had similar concerns with my FICM after I purshased it from Swamps. I called them up and they informed me they explicitely set the read-out parameters to 48 volts so when you monitor your truck, it will read the same as if it were stock. This alleviated issues people were having when they brought their trucks in for other issues and the dealer saw higher FICM voltages. Mine reads anywhere from 45-48 volts from the days I installed it. It is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.