2008 Tailgate on a 2005: Can I make the camera work? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 Tailgate on a 2005: Can I make the camera work?

My truck has a super duty 2008 tailgate on it with the backup camera in the tailgate handle area. I'd like to get this to work. I will probably put a touch-screen stereo (maybe nav) in it later. I was wondering if I could make this work with the Insight CTS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 PM

I was wondering this too. I think if you buy an '08 rear view mirror with the camera in it we could get it to work. I believe the '08's that didn't have Nav and had the back up camera the picture shows up in the rear view mirror. Not a bad option but it's not in the CTS.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yes you can..I have mine up and running to my double din screen and an upfitter(or you can run it to where it turns on whenever you put it in reverse). I have a posting somewhere and described how to do it in detail. I will try to find it on here. Just make sure you dont hook up the wires wrong or you can burn out your camera. I believe you can hook it up to the CTS but you have to buy their accessory adapter.

Last edited by armyguy209; 11-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 AM

That be great if you could dig your old post up. I really want to do this mod as well as the OP.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm pretty sure all you need are 4 wires. Power +, - and Video +, -
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 AM

nice bc i was gonna do the same thing.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here are the diagrams I found.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Tailgate on a 2005:  Can I make the camera work?-08-camera-connector.jpg   2008 Tailgate on a 2005:  Can I make the camera work?-08-mirror-connector.jpg   2008 Tailgate on a 2005:  Can I make the camera work?-08-tailgate-camera.jpg  
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Sweet Ryan! That's GOLD right there!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM

This page on Edge's website (scroll to the bottom, BACKUP CAMERA section) says it will use theirs or other 'compatible' camera. Not sure what their definition of 'compatible' is yet.

Edge Products| Product
Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ok I cant find the post that I put all of the info in but I found the stuff I used to hook it up and the info needed as far as wiring.

Pin1-White/brown tracer: 12V power
Pin2-White/green tracer: NTSC(Video) +
Pin3-Purple: NTSC(Video) -
Pin4- Black Shield(not used)
Pin5-Black/white trace:ground

NTSC+ to RCA center post
NTSC - to RCA outer ring

I used the RCA tips from radio shack and also some "Do it yourself" RCA wiring from radio shack as well.

I cut the connector off of the EXTENSION end of the OEM extension wire(the end that you are going to splice into)...not the one that is inside of your tailgate. I ran it out of the hole that is in the tailgate and behind the bumper by the license plate area of the tailgate.

Depending on how you hook it up(either off of a upfitter switch like I did) or tapping into your reverse wire, is how you will run things. The only wires I ran up to the inside of the cab was the rca cable(the end with the RCA tip) since the other end will be spliced and connected with butt connectors in the rear of the truck bed. The other wire was the hot(Pin1) up to the upfitter switch. If you dont run it this way and you want it to turn on when you put it in reverse, then simply hook up this wire(Pin1) tapped into your reverse wire. Just use a light tester to make sure you tap into the right one.

Here is a little more info I found that I wrote in another post:

You can wire it up either way you want. The way I have it now I did not wire it up to my reverse. Instead I ran it all the way up to my #3 upfitter switch so that I could turn it on whenever I wanted. You can wire it up either way or even both. I just decided that I didnt want it coming on everytime I put it in reverse.

Basically there are only 3 wires to be ran, since I already have the video cable made but that I will include for you.

1. RCA from camera to your kenwood deck
2. Power wire to either reverse or a switch up in front
3. Ground wire

Very simple to install. The video cable I purchased from Radio Shack and soldered on an RCA tip, that plugs into the deck. Then I soldered the other end of the wires to the wires coming out of the camera because supposedly it gives it better video quality(who knows if thats true). If I was to redo it, I would probably try to find some thicker wire online because the radio shack wires were pretty thin once you actually stripped it all down.

The cable I made works just fine BUT here is what I would use if I did it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-RCA-LOCKI...item43a76e4632 Instead of soldering the wires to it(makes it much easier and you know you will never have to redo it...probably shouldnt with solder either but ya never know.

I would also use regular 18 AWG wires. But that is just me...like I said, the wire that I made works just fine but I like to make all my things beefy...haha

I might even go back through it and redo the wiring with the 18 AWG wire and those RCA connectors from ebay. I really did not like how thin the wiring was from radio shack but I wanted to get it done and that is all I could find. I am pretty sure regular wiring is the same but I will have to find out first. I also put a little solder on the way I have it now to connect the wires because the butt connects would fit on the thin wiring.

Here is a video of mine how it was hooked up to my old deck(still the same way just with a 2011 Alpine deck now) The video was for when I was selling the unit but you can see how it worked with my particular deck

Last edited by armyguy209; 11-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.