Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 192 Times in 154 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I run a coolant filter from Sinister MFG. It does a good job of keeping the Ford gold coolant clean. It was fairly simple to install, should not take more than 15 minutes tops. I bought mine off of amazon since I already had an account with them. Honestly as long as the coolant looks clean I wouldn't worry about it to much. I pull mine out about every 6 months with a antifreeze checker and hold it up to the sunlight to see if it has anything floating in it. Not the scientific way of doing it but it works.
A coolant filter isn't gonna stop or prevent silicate drop out. Coolant filters are a bypass system, which means its only filtering about 10% of the coolant, so if the other 90% of the coolant is pushing thru the oil cooler, there still is a chance of the oil cooler getting blocked up.
One of the benefits from switching form the Ford gold or G-05 to a ELC is to cut down on coolant maintenence. Ford now recommends to change out the gold coolant every 50k miles (I wonder why?) (sarcasm).
2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB