New to diesels and looking where to start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels and looking where to start

So i have always wanted a powerstroke for as long as i can remember. After 25 different cars and trucks my wish finally came true! So i bought an 04 F250 6.0 and got a heck of a deal on it. I have done everything from building motors to doing body work and am no rookie to cars but i am a rookie to diesels. So i am a newbie and apologize in advance for any stupid questions lol. I have been doing alot of research on the 6.0 and just the truck in general and after poking around in my engine bay have noticed some changes. Looks like there is a coolant filter and oil charge kit installed, and hard intercooler pipes. Truck has a 4'" turbo back, SCT tuner with DJ diesel custom tunes, EDGE CS monitor, 8" fox 2.0 dual reservoir suspension, 20" WWC Black widows with 37" Pro Comp tires, billet grill, backup sensors, HID headlights and blacked out taillights. And then there is this black switch that revs the engine to 1200 rpm when in neutral as long as the brakes are not applied. So basically im just trying to figure out where i stand and what should be some of my next mods? And also what is the purpose of the black switch? ( i just use it to warm up the truck when its cold in the morning lol). I plan on pulling the rear diff cover this weekend and seeing what gears i have back there as the cover seems to be different then stock. also i was curious is there was a way to tell if the head studs have been done without pulling the heads? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long drawn out post that probably doesn't make any sense but im just really wanting to just dive into this truck because i am a very fast growing enthusiast.i attached a picture of the truck the day i bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
New to diesels and looking where to start-random-004.jpg  

Last edited by windmill86; 11-02-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill86 View Post
Looks like there is a coolant filter and oil charge kit installed, and hard intercooler pipes.
The 2004 model had metal intercooler pipes from the factory.
That is probably an oil bypass filter. This is a good thing as is the coolant filtration system. Sounds like the previous owner knew a few things about this engine.
Quote:
Truck has a 4'" turbo back, SCT tuner with DJ diesel custom tunes, EDGE CS monitor, 8" fox 2.0 dual reservoir suspension, 20" WWC Black widows with 37" Pro Comp tires, billet grill, backup sensors, HID headlights and blacked out taillights. And then there is this black switch that revs the engine to 1200 rpm when in neutral as long as the brakes are not applied. So basically im just trying to figure out where i stand and what should be some of my next mods? And also what is the purpose of the black switch? ( i just use it to warm up the truck when its cold in the morning lol).
Your black switch is a "high idle mod." It is used for what you are using it for. It is also used during periods of extended idling to prevent "wets stacking."
Quote:
I plan on pulling the rear diff cover this weekend and seeing what gears i have back there as the cover seems to be different then stock. also i was curious is there was a way to tell if the head studs have been done without pulling the heads?
Check out the head bolts. If you see a bolt head, they have not been done. If they have a nut on a stud, they have been done.
Quote:
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long drawn out post that probably doesn't make any sense but im just really wanting to just dive into this truck because i am a very fast growing enthusiast.i attached a picture of the truck the day i bought it.
On your CS, you should be monitoring your coolant temp and your oil temps. This will allow you to keep an eye on the health of your oil cooler.
To really test it, get the truck (unloaded) up to normal operating temps (190F coolant temp, give or take a few degrees). Find a flat section of highway, set the cruise for 55-65 MPH. After a few minutes of cruising at that speed on the flat, check the temps and compare them to each other. Your oil temp will be higher than your coolant temp, but it should not reach 15F in this condition. If/when it does, it is time to replace your oil cooler and replace (or delete) the egr cooler. Always replace as a pair if you decide to keep the egr cooler.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like a great truck, congrats. Don't pull the rear cover. Jack it up, turn the tire 1 rev and count the driveshaft turns for gear ratio.

Seems like the basic bolton mods are covered. It gets expensive from here. Turbo, injectors, etc.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM

NYC 350: thanks for all the info... i actually drove to work this morning on one of the most flat highways with cruise control set to 55mph which is about 60 because my speedo is off) and the coolant was steady at 188, the oil temp was steady at 192, trans temp around 150, egt around 680 and running a steady 7lbs of boost...... does this seem right? also is there an advantage to deleting the egr vs upgrading?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
information regurgitator

Those temps are great. It sounds as though you have a great truck there.
The advantages are (IMHO):
Engine is no longer inhaling soot from the egr cooler
no more soot in the intake manifold
gets rid of egr valve related running issues
diminishes the chance of head gaskets getting blown by the egr cooler failure
Old 11-03-2011, 05:30 PM

awesome! thanks for all your help and knowledge you have passed it has been greatly appreciated! This weekend i will be replacing all the fluids and filters just for good measure and while im at it checking the gear ratio, head studs to see if they are ARP and also looking at the turbo because it spools extremely loud and im thinking the previous owner removed the silencer..... also i am looking into CCV which i heard is a great idea any input on this matter or links to how its done?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The early built '04's have the '03 engines and turbos, this might be why the whistle is loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.