Water separator drain plug installation question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water separator drain plug installation question

Hi,

I noticed a small fuel leak under my drivers side frame rail which I believe was coming from either the o-ring on the drain plug or the gasket under the water separator cover. Anyways, I removed the plug without any issues and replaced the o-ring which looks to be chewed up. Upon reassembly the plug would get relatively tight and then free up. Is this normal? Initially I thought the o-ring "crush" was preventing the threads from starting but after inspecting everything it looks like things are threading together but the male plug threads are tightening past the female threads and then just spinning. I read through the manual and couldn't find any mention of this. Can anyone explain what's going on? The threads don't look stripped.

If it matters my plug is the original OEM style without the knurled thumb screw. Also, my plug looks different than the aftermarket knurled plugs in that it doesn't have the "T" similar to the one in this link (mine doesn't extend past the threads). Is this normal?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,547
Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcCawley View Post
Hi,

I noticed a small fuel leak under my drivers side frame rail which I believe was coming from either the o-ring on the drain plug or the gasket under the water separator cover. Anyways, I removed the plug without any issues and replaced the o-ring which looks to be chewed up. Upon reassembly the plug would get relatively tight and then free up. Is this normal? Initially I thought the o-ring "crush" was preventing the threads from starting but after inspecting everything it looks like things are threading together but the male plug threads are tightening past the female threads and then just spinning. I read through the manual and couldn't find any mention of this. Can anyone explain what's going on? The threads don't look stripped.
no. not normal. The plug should not be overtightened. The o-ring should be doing the sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcCawley View Post
If it matters my plug is the original OEM style without the knurled thumb screw. Also, my plug looks different than the aftermarket knurled plugs in that it doesn't have the "T" similar to the one in this link (mine doesn't extend past the threads). Is this normal?
Thanks
yes, it is normal. The OEM plug is just a short, threaded plug w/ an o-ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wouldn't consider how much torque I applied to the bolt to be overtightened- maybe 8-10 ft-lbs. I've read the stories on the forum of people's allen heads being stripped during removal from the bolt being too tight and I can say mine was nowhere near that. Is it 'normal' for these bolts to tighten to a point where they loosen up or do I have something wierd going on? I can certainly tighten to the point before it loosens back up but I want to make sure this is the correct procedure. I don't want it coming out while I'm driving and start leaking fuel all over the road. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 1,557
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Sounds like you have stripped threads on either the plug or the housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it happens to be your housing I have an extra in my garage. I bought it off a wrecked truck when I thought my pump was bad. I'll check the plug on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The plug thread looks good and I'd be really surprised if the housing is stripped but I'll pull everything apart this weekend and take a better look. Can someone confirm that the plug should tighten down and NOT keep spinning.

RaptorFever, I'd be interested in your cover if mine is stripped.

Thanks again,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 1,557
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
I can confirm the plug should get as tight as you can turn it with an Allen wrench. When I took mine out to replace it with the updated plug, I had to put a boxed end wrench on the end of the Allen to get enough leverage to break it loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Serving Our Country!


 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,478
Thanks: 76
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Before I came back to the states I had my dad take my truck in to have all fluids changed and make sure the truck was good to go for him to drive it across the country. In the process purchased a knurled knob drain valve and the dealer installed it along with the rest of the work. Not too long ago I had to drain the water and thought it was really difficult to open and close the knob. Well, upon further inspection I noticed that the o-ring was not the proper size. It was too big and getting chewed in the threads. So, I hopped on down to the auto parts store, bought a new o-ring, and now it is perfect. It is easy to open and close and there are no leaks.

Point being, make sure you have the right size o-ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PROCTORVILLE OHIO
Posts: 679
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcCawley View Post
The plug thread looks good and I'd be really surprised if the housing is stripped but I'll pull everything apart this weekend and take a better look. Can someone confirm that the plug should tighten down and NOT keep spinning.

RaptorFever, I'd be interested in your cover if mine is stripped.

Thanks again,
Matt

Stock plug in my 6.0 tightens down ,does not keep turning.
JER-1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 534
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should snug down and stop spinning. The plugs don't strip, they are steel. The housing they thread into is aluminum on the other hand, and they do. You can buy just the cover for the HCFM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors