New to diesels, not to DIY - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels, not to DIY

Hey all, like the title says I'm new to diesels, I just picked up an 05 Excursion with the 6.0l. I have read the post on bulletproofing the machine (great write-up BTW). So I have a couple of questions, sorry if there is a similar post it existence.

First off, I am having a hard time finding diesel products at auto parts stores, what types of resources are generally available for these type engines? More specifically, I have all the hardwares for a coolant filter job, just no fluids (Restore, Restore+, Rev-x). Side question: (Lowes didn't have 3/8" rubber heater hose, however they had clear reinforced hose of the proper size, I want to say it was vinyl. It was rated for a higher PSI @ 70* than the rubber, it was cheaper, also I was assured by the sales gentleman that it would not be affected by the heat, does this sound legit?)

Secondly I plan on doing a EGR delete, I am thinking this kit: Complete EGR Delete Kit Ford Powerstroke 6.0
anybody had experience with this company?

And finally, I have plans to eventually do a remote oil cooler/spin on filter build. While wondering around the parts stores today I stumbled upon transmission coolers, just small radiators, couldn't one of these be rigged and mounted in tandem with a filter base similar to the one I just got for my coolant filter build?

I realize this is a lot at once but it should keep the thread active for a while.
I plan on keeping the gurus on their toes.

Also I am sure there is a universal forum etiquette and I apologize in advance if I am in violation of said customs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.blevins1 View Post
And finally, I have plans to eventually do a remote oil cooler/spin on filter build. While wondering around the parts stores today I stumbled upon transmission coolers, just small radiators, couldn't one of these be rigged and mounted in tandem with a filter base similar to the one I just got for my coolant filter build?
First and foremost, welcome to the ORG.

You have some homework to do on the oil requirements of this engine. The peak flow demand of the engine is close to 18.5 gallons per minute. Try pushing that flow though those little coolers you saw. It takes a 3/4 inch hose to get in the ballpark of that flow rate. There is a thread around here by windrunner..(he might have a number after his name?.?.?) that shows what he did to accomplish his remote oil cooler. Its alot of work and his isn't exactly perfect as far as pressure drop across the system. It is still a work in progress, and I am paying close attention to the details that are coming out of that thread. Very informative.

As far as your egr cooler delete kit choice, all egr cooler delete kits are pretty much the same. I haven't run across that particular one, but it would likely work just fine.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM
information regurgitator

I found the thread by windrunner408:
Oil Cooler Delete
Old 10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Before you buy anymore parts, do some more research.

That clear hose you bought might be rated for the PSI, but what about heat and chemicals?

Your not gonna build a external oil cooler from parts at your local auto parts store, no way!

Start with a monitoring solution, you need to check the health of the motor first, then Tackle the issues.

The bulletproof thread you read was a great start, here is some more.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally I would stay away from some type of spin on oil filter unless you are adding a by-pass oil filter. If your cooling system is in good health and you tranny fluid and tranny are in good shape the stock system does a good job of keeping the tranny cool unless you are going to be pulling a heavy trailer all the time. My tranny temp rarely goes above 165* when empty. And by all means do some more research before you tackle this vehicle.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice, I have no intention of halting research.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.