Shop says heads are cracked... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Shop says heads are cracked...

Well, the dealer called and said that BOTH of my heads are cracked and will need to be replaced and that they can replace them for an additional 3,000 dollars.... Now, this may be- BUT, the tech initially said that he was positive that the head gaskets were fine and that he was sure the heads were fine but that they would send them off just to be sure. Now they tell me that the machine shop called today and said that both heads are cracked and the tech says that he "guesses" that the head gasket may have blown. Here's my hang up. As soon as the dealer called me, I called the NAPA machine shop and they told me that the guy who does the machining is off on Mondays and that they don't know anything about it. So I'm just wondering- how often do the heads crack on these motors? My truck never ran hot- the oil cooler ruptured and I drove it 2 blocks to the dealership. I feel like I'm getting yanked around a little bit.... I called a local junkyard and they're pulling me a set of heads for 540.00 total. They'll guarentee them to be good or refund me. What do you guys think? I don't see how the heads could crack without blowing the head gasket.... Any thoughts? Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
With the junk yard heads, are you gonna send them to a machine shop to be checked? Don't make the same mistake twice, how can a tech say the heads are fine before having them off the motor.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 PM

I would have them give you the testing from the Shop, and I would request the heads from them and take them to be checked else where.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:35 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Document what they said an then get them checked elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't ask for the heads over the phone. Go to the shop unannounced and pick them up and go get a second opinion.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM

That's what I'm thinking also. I'm definitely going to have the junkyard heads checked out. I'm also going to go look at my heads and see the cracks for myself. The tech made his statements based off of the color of the stuff that was puking out of the overflow. Said that the color told him that the cooler had ruptured but not because of blockage, and that the he could almost guarentee that the head gaskets and heads were fine... So I'm just really caught off guard... I'm not usually the type that thinks that folks are out to get me- I'm just a little suspicious for some reason on this....
Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
That's what I'm thinking also. I'm definitely going to have the junkyard heads checked out. I'm also going to go look at my heads and see the cracks for myself. The tech made his statements based off of the color of the stuff that was puking out of the overflow. Said that the color told him that the cooler had ruptured but not because of blockage, and that the he could almost guarentee that the head gaskets and heads were fine... So I'm just really caught off guard... I'm not usually the type that thinks that folks are out to get me- I'm just a little suspicious for some reason on this....
That tech is full of himself and full of S&%t.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Why were the cylinder heads removed in the first place?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
That tech is full of himself and full of S&%t.
The more I talk to him and the more I talk to the service manager the more I am scratching my head! Several comments that've been made have me really wondering. I don't know what to think now...

As for the reason the heads were taken off, they told me that they'd stud the heads and do a couple of other things for 5,000. That was to include studding the heads, new head gaskets, new oil cooler, a programmer, and a few odds and ends. They said they send the heads off to be checked out as a standard procedure. But they also told me that they were sure that my heads were fine.... I'm just wondering how the truck could run so good, not smoke, not overheat and crack the heads??? BOTH heads? Is this likely?

Last edited by Country Mav; 11-04-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 PM

GOOD NEWS! I called the machine shop today and talked to the machinest. This man is by far the best for a long, long ways around this area. He's been in business for years and his reputation is basically spotless. I called and talked to Mr. Ramon and he said that the cracks are casting cracks and are basically superficial. We've known of each other for a good while and I asked him if it were his truck and his heads would he be afraid of them. He said absolutely not. He told me he would put the heads back on and use them without question. Coming from him, this really put my mind at ease. He said that had he not magna-flux-powdered ? them, he would never have even seen the cracks. But he told me to call them back and tell them that I had spoken with him and that he said that the heads were fine. If they had an issue with that to call him back. I called the dealer and told him and he sounded just a little bit put out. But I'm tickled- WHAT A RELIEF!! The only downside is that I had already agreed to buy a set of heads from a yard locally- they guarantee them or my money back. I'll have them checked out and then they'll probably be for sale. I don't need them, but we shook hands on it, and in my book, that's non-negotiable. So I'm just a happy camper tonight y'all! Thanks for the advice and input everyone!! I really, really do appreciate it!! Preston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.