Need help with EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Need help with EGR delete

Looking for some help making a decision. I just won one of these from Performance Machine!!!

6.0L Powerstroke COMPLETE EGR Cooler Delete Kit by Performance Machine & MFG.

The truck has right at 100K miles on it. Trying to decide if I should go ahead do the EGR Delete and a fresh oil cooler now until I'm able to get the parts/money for the studs etc. Or if I should wait until I can do it all at one time. I'm checking a couple of places to see what they would charge me to do the EGR and Oil Cooler. I just don't have the time to do it myself? That should help with my decision, I just can't make up my mind lol.

I already have the updated feed line and drain tube, as well as the updated STC fitting they can do while they are in there.

Would it be worth doing all of that for now and studs down the road? Or shoud i wait till i can do it all? Let me know what you think, I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do it now if the cost isn't too prohibitive. Add a bypass coolant filter and all of what you are doing right now should put the need for studs off for a while. That'll give you plenty of time to save for your studs! You might call DeJean's down in Groves and talk to Brett Hilton on a estimate. They do a LOT of 6.0s and might be able to give you a good price on it.

One thing to be aware of though Billy. I work in one of the local chemical plants and we are painfully aware of EPA regulations. With the bunch in charge right now, I believe there's a better than even chance the new, idiotic regulations on CO2 emissions are going to pass. That's most likely going to put Jefferson County back out of air quality compliance. And that's probably gonna mean visual inspection of emissions within a couple of years. It may not happen at all, but just food for thought...
Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you can wait, then wait if you really want to do studs. the deal is (talked with powerstrokemagic and a few other places around town for mine) that if theyre in there for studs its no extra labor to replace the oil cooler and do the egr block at psm.

i cant wait on mine and im realizing i might not have the time either so i have a shop in southwest houston that i know very well that has quoted me around 900 out the door for the oil cooler and a coolant flush with them using my parts for the cooler and re installing the egr delete instead of the stock cooler. i have to talk with them about how much extra the up pipe will be to install but shouldnt be much. with that ill bring them the drain tube and new ic boots and clamps for mine. plus they have a 18month/18k warranty on their work which im pretty sure will work in this case also which is a major plus for me.

the quote for the same work plus oil change at powerstroke magic was a rough estimate of 1500
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What I did while I was waiting until I had everything together that I wanted to install on the top of my engine besides the EGR delete kit, plus the $$, was to install an EGR spool in place of the EGR valve. That way I would keep my intake soot free as the dealer had just pulled my intake to clean it and to replace my turbo because of my stupid EGR valve sticking open. Also, the spool is easy to put in and out, which some guys do for emission passing.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Emergency Services

I'm pretty sure the EGR valve can just be turned off with programming.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
Do it now if the cost isn't too prohibitive. Add a bypass coolant filter and all of what you are doing right now should put the need for studs off for a while. That'll give you plenty of time to save for your studs! You might call DeJean's down in Groves and talk to Brett Hilton on a estimate. They do a LOT of 6.0s and might be able to give you a good price on it.

One thing to be aware of though Billy. I work in one of the local chemical plants and we are painfully aware of EPA regulations. With the bunch in charge right now, I believe there's a better than even chance the new, idiotic regulations on CO2 emissions are going to pass. That's most likely going to put Jefferson County back out of air quality compliance. And that's probably gonna mean visual inspection of emissions within a couple of years. It may not happen at all, but just food for thought...
I tried DeJeans, they were high on price. And to be honest, just talking to them, they aren't much into performance stuff, or anything other than factory services and procedures. When I asked them about the EGR delete, he told me "we dont really do those, but I guess if you buy your own we could put it on for you".

For a factory headgasket replacement job, using studs instead of factory bolts, and a replacement oil cooler they quoted me right at $4500. Anything else extra I wanted to do was on top of that.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by agjake11 View Post

i have a shop in southwest houston that i know very well that has quoted me around 900 out the door for the oil cooler and a coolant flush with them using my parts for the cooler and re installing the egr delete instead of the stock cooler.
Is that Lone Star?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
Yeah I have family in the industry, and I do work in some of the local plants as well, so I know exactly what you mean. If it comes to that, and becomes a problem, I'll throw a BulletProof EGR cooler in there. But I'll worry about that when it happens. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
I tried DeJeans, they were high on price. And to be honest, just talking to them, they aren't much into performance stuff, or anything other than factory services and procedures. When I asked them about the EGR delete, he told me "we dont really do those, but I guess if you buy your own we could put it on for you".

For a factory headgasket replacement job, using studs instead of factory bolts, and a replacement oil cooler they quoted me right at $4500. Anything else extra I wanted to do was on top of that.
WOW. power stroke magic doing studs is 2700 and then its around 2800 for a pair of heads if needed. and theyll throw other stuff in while its apart like the oil cooler etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
Is that Lone Star?
the place im refering to is sam tate's colony one auto in missouri city. their system has the engine oil cooler at 6.6 hrs labor and the 900-950 he quoted me included some contingency for misc parts but i asked and they said since the stuff for the egr cooler was out anyway they could replace it with the delete kit.

And side note i won one from PMM also but mine doesnt come with up pipe
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Emergency Services

I called them and upgraded to the kit with the up-pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.