Fuel Additive Comparison - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Additive Comparison

I've seen the results that show bio, then Opti-lube, then fttp (?), etc. I have not seen Motorcraft or the XDP additives in any of the comparisons. I know a number of people seem to like both, but have there been any tests including these two for lubricity and cetane boost? I just finished the last of my Stanadyne and am ready to try something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try Rev-X i swear by it and so do allot of people do. It cleans injectors and seam to give the best increase IMO on cetane. I have used RBP's as well and liked it.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ive only ever run Opti-lube XPD, its not about seat of the pants feel for me, I don't really buy that... just test results. A quick google search netted a few of the major studies out there:

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/att...chmentid=44499
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 PM

I run rev-x and diesel kleen + cetane boost in the silver bottle and truck seems to thank me for it. I think the DK got pretty good reviews in the lubricity study that is floating around here somewhere...
Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 AM

BG 248
This stuff if Danm good ,better than stanadyne any day.run you will be happy like I am.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFun View Post
I run rev-x and diesel kleen + cetane boost in the silver bottle and truck seems to thank me for it. I think the DK got pretty good reviews in the lubricity study that is floating around here somewhere...
the "lubricity study floating around here somewhere" is in the post above yours.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
ive only ever run Opti-lube XPD, its not about seat of the pants feel for me, I don't really buy that... just test results. A quick google search netted a few of the major studies out there:

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/att...chmentid=44499
These are the results I mentioned in my opening post. That's why I'm asking if there are any test results for XDP and Motorcraft additives since they were not part of the test.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 AM

the only fuel additives i'd run are Rev X Distance or Opti lube XPD.. oil additive Rev X only
Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDoug View Post
These are the results I mentioned in my opening post. That's why I'm asking if there are any test results for XDP and Motorcraft additives since they were not part of the test.
???? The motocraft additive is Stanadyne, it came in #8 in the lubricity study.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Every time one of these fuel additive comparision threads pop up I feel compelled to respond, so here goes.

When looking at a fuel additive one must look at the whole package, not just lubricity. For instance a bio blend is probably the best lubricity improver out there, but what does it do for cetane? Bio actually has less power per gallon than reg diesel. Bio actually has more of a problem drawing moisture than reg diesel, so you would have to add a demulsifier. It also does nothing to stabilize fuel.

I am not calling out bio blends, just using it for argument sake since that lubricity study has been mentioned already, but the same can be said for 2 stroke oil also.

When selecting a diesel fuel additive everything I have mentioned above must be taken into consideration. Do you really "need" the best lubricity improver?, or would a correct balance of lubricity,cetane improver, water demulsifier, and fuel stabilizer suit your fuel system better in the long run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.