Turbo issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Turbo issues?

Have had this problem twice now. Each time i only drove the truck for a short time and shut it off knowing it was doing this. Then I'd let it sit because I had to do something and hop back in it and it was back to normal. The 2 times its happened so far were about 1 week apart.

Problem- When idling my turbo would build a pound of boost and has a whistle but at the same time it sounds like air is escaping.(I have the stock 03 turbo, stacks, tune, I know the regular whistle.) It almost sounded like the vanes were stuck open but why would it build boost? Then taking it out for a spin like this it was a dog and every time you left off the throttle it chug. It didn't matter it its WOT or a quarter. It wouldn't build more then 20lbs or so but there was never black smoke. The only 2 times its done this it was this way from start up to turning it off.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions. when truck is shut off and sits for a bit you can hop right in and it drives like a gem again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the obvious, rip/torn IC boots, cracked up-pipe/y-pipe flex joint (look for soot), VGT solenoid wire chafing.

On page 5 of this link is a diagnostic procedure.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...argerGuide.pdf

And here is the VGT relearn procedure from Bismic.
VGT relearn (from Brickie's earlier post - referencing blackhat620):
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/63...-04-truck.html
KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure
1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)
2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)
3. Turn on the headlights
4. Disconnect both batteries
5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).
6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes
7. Turn off the headlights.
8. Re-connect batteries
9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".
10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.
11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:

15 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn"
its adaptive strategy. Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the
P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed. As for the Tow/Haul mode, the transmission
must re-learn your driving style and loads hauled again as this was cleared when the truck was
re-flashed.

Here's the VGT cleaning. Your vanes might be starting to stick.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-05.php
Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Check the obvious, rip/torn IC boots, cracked up-pipe/y-pipe flex joint (look for soot), VGT solenoid wire chafing.

On page 5 of this link is a diagnostic procedure.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...argerGuide.pdf

And here is the VGT relearn procedure from Bismic.
VGT relearn (from Brickie's earlier post - referencing blackhat620):
Diablosport Predator Update for 04 Truck - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure
1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)
2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)
3. Turn on the headlights
4. Disconnect both batteries
5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).
6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes
7. Turn off the headlights.
8. Re-connect batteries
9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".
10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.
11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:

15 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn"
its adaptive strategy. Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the
P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed. As for the Tow/Haul mode, the transmission
must re-learn your driving style and loads hauled again as this was cleared when the truck was
re-flashed.

Here's the VGT cleaning. Your vanes might be starting to stick.
DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
Thanks for the info. Its not an obvious sign like ripped boot or cracked Y pipe since it goes away for periods of time. Its only happened 2 random times on short trips and that was from start up to shut down. It'd act up the whole time it was running for that particular start up. Also I'd like to be able to run some of these test but I'll have to wait until it acts up again. It runs fine normally and i drive it daily it just seems like this was kind of a freak thing. Reading your info though i did have the batteries disconnected so I'm not sure if it would have to relearn from that. I did have a P1000 code up as well. Once truck was shut off for a bit i hopped in again and it ran perfect again so i cleared the code and it has not been back.

As far as sticky vanes, They do stick for a few seconds when I go wot at higher speeds for longer periods but it has never lasted to long or been bad enough for me to want to take it apart and clean it. I'm thinking power max pretty soon anyways.

That does give me some good stuff to look at though if it happens again. Thank you

Last edited by Buzzyt517; 08-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.