Am I dumb for wanting an 05 to 07 powerstoke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I dumb for wanting an 05 to 07 powerstoke?

So, ive been on this site for awhile and just sold the truck in my sig. Honestly, i hate the way the leafs rode and i hate how damn loud the old 7.3s are. Ive been looking hard at lb7 dmaxs and then of course, my wondering eye couldnt steer too far away from fords and i started looking at 05 to 07 powerstrokes. I'm not looking to lift it and the most towing it would see would be a sled deck in the winter and possibly a 22 ft camp trailer in the summer. First thing would be an edge insight to monitor. I would like to get a stock one and do exhaust with an sct. Am i dumb? i know they have issues (my dad has an 04 and its been a complete **** bucket) and i see lots of stuff on here but are these the diehard cases or the norm? Am i better off buying a little bit higher mileage in the logic that if its a problem child, it would have already acted up? The only repair i'm scared of is putting headgaskets in it. egr delete, oil cooler, turbo, etc not scared of... already had to do all that jazz on my dads 04. basically, am i really better off going with a cummins or dmax if i'm looking to get an 03 to 06 diesel? I know this is a powerstroke site, but id like realistic responces to that question, not the diehard ford answer.

Vernon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was very leary of a 6.0. I had an 03 F-450 that was one problem right after another. Now, I know what was causing all of those issues. I bought my 05 about a month ago and I absolutely love it. It has an EGR delete done now, I ordered my 5 inch exhaust from performancemachinesmfg today and I'll be adding an Edge CTS and SCT tuner next. I thought I was crazy for buying this truck, but honestly, if you take care of the main issues (EGR, oil cooler) and don't abuse the truck (overboost it, blow the heads off, etc) I think that you will love it. I love the way mine drives, handles, pulls, shifts, sounds... you get the message. In the end, it's up to you, but I'm glad I bought mine. Good Luck with your decision! Preston
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
well somehow we got lucky enough to get 2 great 6.0's. both get very picky maintenance and niether have had anything seriously wrong. i had veins sticking in my turbo because we have a really humid climate and constantly getting hot/cold. deleted the egr to try to get better mpg but the egr was just fine. loving my 6.uh oh cant beat the sound
Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 AM
The Silent Service

Looking at the 6.0Ls, anything from '05-'07 are great trucks as long as you know what to look for. The '03.5-'04 were rushed into production with the EPA regualations. The '05+ got better brakes, higher towing capacities, and in my opinion the best looking of the Superduties. I would suggest finding one built after Jan '06, as that was the last set of updates to these trucks. I wouldn't trade my '07 for any other truck on the road.

Last edited by colo_dually; 08-30-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yup..05-07 best looking superduty,not that i'm biased or anything,,
Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah I have to agree on the looks thing. As long as you take care of them and do the couple things needed to set them right they are great trucks.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I love mine!

06-07 are said to be the best years of the 6.0
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
To Many Projects

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't think your crazy I'm thinking about getting one my self for a work / plow truck.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Like many have already stated, I love mine. There are issues that need to be addressed, check PGreenSVT's signature for the link, but once those are done, you're in business.

One other thing, these 6.0s are the last diesel that Ford made that still sound like a traditional diesel. I think the 6.0 sounds better than the 7.3 so... If the 7.3 gave you issues, you may want to keep that in mind about the 6.0s too.

+2 on the 05-07 being the best looking truck, I absolutely love it!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 PM

Not crazy at all. Best body style Ford had that decade, and the 06-07 6.0's had less warranty claims than any other years of the Power Strokes IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.