Alternator issue? Or FICM? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 03:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternator issue? Or FICM?

Ok, in the last three months, when I start my truck cold, from time to time the battery light will come on for a minute or so and then go out.

So I put my battery voltage and FICM voltage on my Edge CTS, the battery voltage will vary between 11.8 to 13.8 and the FICM voltage, on cold start up, will be around 43-45 volts and after a bit comes up to 46.5-48.5 volts.

Tonight I went out, and with the truck cold, the key on, engine off FICM voltage never dropped below 46 volts and my batteries with the engine off read 12V. With a meter, the batteries read 12.6V. After starting it, the Edge CTS was still reading .5 to .6 below what my meter read.

I tested the FICM with my meter before doing the PHP FICM remote reprogramming about 8-9 months ago and it tested fine, not saying it couldn't be starting to go bad. So what do you guys think? What do you think my next step should be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM

Any ideas?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the amps on the alternator, your gonna need a clamp on amp meter. At idle, the amps should be around 60amps with the factory 110amp alternator.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My gut tells me alternator. It's fighting and probably on the brink...
Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Yep sounds like alternator is going... Replace it before it dies completely
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Having a similar issue with my truck.Cold starts that will shake your teeth and the battery light flickers a few times.I just replaced the alternator in march and had it check about 2 months ago when I replaced the idler pulley.
I guess I'll be pull the alternator and getting it checked
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Emergency Services

Am I missing something here? I'm not very mechanically inclined and trying to learn as I go here so bear with me...

From what the OP said I don't see a battery voltage/alternator problem, I see an FICM voltage problem.
From my limited knowledge bat volts at 12 KOEO is good, starting they drop to 10-11 and then come up to 12-14 KOER. If the bat voltage was staying low KOER I would think alternator.
FICMV at 48 KOEO and above 45 starting and running. FICMV below 45 on a cold start tells me that the FICM is on its way out.

So what have I missed or what do I have messed up here?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermedic View Post
Am I missing something here? I'm not very mechanically inclined and trying to learn as I go here so bear with me...

From what the OP said I don't see a battery voltage/alternator problem, I see an FICM voltage problem.
From my limited knowledge bat volts at 12 KOEO is good, starting they drop to 10-11 and then come up to 12-14 KOER. If the bat voltage was staying low KOER I would think alternator.
FICMV at 48 KOEO and above 45 starting and running. FICMV below 45 on a cold start tells me that the FICM is on its way out.

So what have I missed or what do I have messed up here?
The FICM needs to be tested with good batteries and charging system, if he has weak batteries/alternator, he will get a weak FICM volt.

This is where the OP needs to check all his battery cable connections (at battery and to the motor) for corrosion/bad connection. Load test the batteries separately and test out the alternator amp output.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Emergency Services

Got it.

I knew that the batteries needed to be checked first but didn't think about the alternator. I was thinking that since the battery voltage was recovering quickly to where it should be while the FICM voltage was staying low the FICM would be the more likely problem.

I'm still learning to trouble shoot mechanical problems I guess. I already know that all possibilities need to be addressed before you know for sure what the problem is and what parts need money thrown at them AND if you don't do this you'll spend more money than you need to. Thankfully I haven't learned it from my own experiences but if I don't learn to check all possibilities every time (even when I think the problem is fairly obvious) I will have the experience first hand. Thanks for the help Lilpooh.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Ok, here are my test results on my alternator.
On startup, batteries read 12.6V. After startup, no amperage for a minute or so which I understand is normal. With no load, the amperage then goes up to 70A and then will start to drop, I stopped watching when it got down to 40A and that's at 13.8-14V. With the AC and lights on, the amperage goes up to 72A and the voltage drops to 12.8-13V. This is all at an idle, do all these values seem ok? The voltage dropping to 12.8-13V at idle with the loads on kind of seems low but I'm not sure.
And would any of these readings explain my FICM voltage variance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.