Is this the dreaded White Puke of Death? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this the dreaded White Puke of Death?

Hello all. I bought a nice 2003 Excursion 4x4 6.0L about a month ago. Have been loving it so far. Great fuel economy, fun to drive, so much room, etc. Well, I pulled my boat to the coast and and back this weekend. Everything was going great, even getting pretty good fuel economy towing Approx. 7K lb boat & trailer. On the return trip, I was driving along and the motor suddenly just stopped running. I was at highway speed, so I just coasted and pulled over to the side of the road. Engine started right back up, there were no indications of anything abnormal on engine gauges, so I completed my trip. When I got home, I opened the hood and saw this what is in the pictures below.

What does this mean and what should I do from here?
Attached Thumbnails
Is this the dreaded White Puke of Death?-image00002.jpg   Is this the dreaded White Puke of Death?-image00003.jpg   Is this the dreaded White Puke of Death?-image00001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you checked the CEL???

It looks like it probably has a clogged oil cooler. That could be why it boiled over.
As for it turning off, I dunno. Possibly got too hot or maybe it has a ruptured EGR cooler and sucking coolant.

First thing would be to check that CEL and have it hooked to a computer that will read everything.
Like coolant and oil temps. If you are cruising the highway and the oil is 15-20*F hotter than the coolant, it is most likely a clogged oil cooler

Pull the EGR valve and check for moisture if you're concerned about possible blown HGs.
If it's dry, you're most likely safe. If it's wet, it's possible they're blown.

But DO NOT drive it until you check for moisture at least. If it has a ruptured EGR cooler and is sucking coolant, you will blow your HGs eventually.

Last edited by azkcr; 08-28-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 PM

how did you take a picture of my engine mine was verified to be the EGR not head gaskets. evidently when you have a head gasket issue the degas bottle (coolant over flow bottle) blows out. did the EGR cooler delete, replaced the oil cooler upgraded coolant elc cat1, EGR valve rebuild, fpr spring. what a difference in performance of truck.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 AM
information regurgitator

To give a better check for the egr cooler failure, park the truck on an incline, nose down, remove egr valve and leave it like that for a few hours. If you see moisture in the bottom of the hole, your egr cooler has failed.
This does not mean that your head gaskets are gone....yet.
It is possible, but if this just happened, you are probably safe.
Park the truck. Your chances of popping a head gasket go up every time you drive it.
There are a few links in my signature that I would like to point out that will give you plenty of information about your truck, what you need to do before you tear into it and even a step-by-step "how to" for the repair.
The first link, "basic info" will give you some important info you need to know as a 6.0 owner.
The second is about flushing your cooling system. This should be done prior to repairing your truck. Even if you are not going to repair the truck yourself, you should do the flush yourself. Remember that nobody cares about your truck more than you do. You will not get any garage to do the type of flush that is outlined in the link. The flush in the link will give you the best chance of cleaning out the junk that can plug up your new oil cooler. (you can disregard the "reverse flushing" part of the document, as this will not help your situation)
The third link is the "how to" replace your oil cooler and egr cooler (or delete the egr cooler). There are part numbers, where to get those parts cheaper than your local Ford dealer, a few parts to consider upgrading, a few tips and 3 pdf files needed for the repair. (intake manifold remove/replace, turbo remove/replace and oil cooler remove/replace)
Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
Have you checked the CEL???

It looks like it probably has a clogged oil cooler. That could be why it boiled over.
As for it turning off, I dunno. Possibly got too hot or maybe it has a ruptured EGR cooler and sucking coolant.

First thing would be to check that CEL and have it hooked to a computer that will read everything.
Like coolant and oil temps. If you are cruising the highway and the oil is 15-20*F hotter than the coolant, it is most likely a clogged oil cooler

Pull the EGR valve and check for moisture if you're concerned about possible blown HGs.
If it's dry, you're most likely safe. If it's wet, it's possible they're blown.

But DO NOT drive it until you check for moisture at least. If it has a ruptured EGR cooler and is sucking coolant, you will blow your HGs eventually.
iman1120

azkcr is saying get yourself a scangauge or edge insight. These will allow you to see the actual temperatures, boost numbers, voltages etc. as well as reading the code(s) for your CEL (check engine light). This little monitor will save you a ton of money as well as your truck. Here's an example... or three!

I got mine before I bought the Ex. I used it on the test drive and new that I would be doing the oil cooler and EGR when I got the truck home (my oil and coolant temps were 20-25* apart). Just a few weeks ago my battery voltage wasn't coming up as quickly as it should after starting, I had a loose battery connection. I would never have looked at the batteries if the insight didn't tell me to. It's also telling me my FICM is on it's way out. My FICMV drops to 42-45 volts on a cold start. Comes right back up to 48 after a minute or two and I have no other issues (no smoke, hard starts, misses, nothing). Without the insight I would have no idea and if it's left long enough the low voltage on the FICM will start toasting injectors. I'll save myself the headache and a lot of money by changing it now.

As for what to do now... check under the EGR valve for wettness like the others have said.

It's the small black top beside the oil filter housing with the pink dot on it. Take the bolts out and pull it straight up, you don't want to pinch the valve hanging off the bottom.

Get the insight (or scangauge) and check your EOT and ECT on a flat section of highway at 65 with the truck at operating temp (ECT 190*). If the temps are >15* apart you need to do the oil cooler and since you're there the EGR.

There is a whole list of other upgraded parts to replace if your going in that far (I think I did most of them when I did my oil/EGR coolers, they're in my sig) but I'd figure out what NEEDS to be done first.

Good luck! I absolutely love my Excursion and after wrenching on it I love it even more!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 AM

So there isn't a gasket associated with the EGR valve that one has to replace when taking it off to check for moisture?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Yes there is, you can get it at Ford or International:

EGR O-ring AND gasket kit number is Ford 3C3Z-9P455-AB or International # 1840778C92; EGR bolts are torqued to 13 Nm
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No. You don't always need to replace it.
Since yours is old, you might need to replace the o-rings.

Quote:
azkcr is saying get yourself a scangauge or edge insight
Ya, I don't usually type all of what is going through my head like I should. NYC knows that first hand. My bad.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
Ya, I don't usually type all of what is going through my head like I should. NYC knows that first hand. My bad.
That made me a little
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok guys. Thanks so much for the replies. I am doing some reading and will check the EGR valve for wetness and go from there. Any thoughts on whether it's generally preferable to replace EGR or install an EGR delete kit? Also, on a side note, the check engine light went off on its own. Maybe that's some good news? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.