ULTIMATE 6.0 Build. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ULTIMATE 6.0 Build.

I want to build the ultimate 6.0

Its going to take some time and most like more money than I will ever see.

Help me build the ultimate 6.0

I want everyones advice. experience. ]

Im paying off med b ills almost done though.
have a kid on the way
but still building my truck.

will hopefully have 8k budget soon after selling my bike. never ride it anymore anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM

stud it with arp head studs w/ factory head gaskets, oil cooler kit by bullet proof diesel (BPD). upgraded fuel pressure regulator spring (part#3C3Z-9T517-AG), 90hp injectors by RCD, S300 64mm non vgt turbo by RCD, air-dogII fuel pump, banks technicolor inter-cooler system, 4" TB exhaust
Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What truck do you have. Some years do not apply to the below.
update the stc.
update the standpipes and dummy plugs.
oil bypass filter.
exhaust.
upgrade the fuel reg.
coolant flush. replace the oem oil cooler or buy the bullet proff diesel oil cooler. The oem cooler is not the problem, the coolant and casting sand is what kills it.
egr delete.
coolant bypass.
Powermax
Drill out the banjo bolts or buy 6.4 bolts.
Custom tuning.
arp's stock head gaskets.
synthetics in the engine, diffs and transfercase.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First things first is a monitoring system like a Edge CS or CTS to check the vitals of your truck, then once you know that you can continue on. Check to see your EOT and ECT delta mainly. A custom tuned SCT from Matt @ gearhear, Innovative or Vivian, there are others but those are the most popular. As for a turbo I think most people would say stick with the VGT and get a powermax, add a Batmowheel to it while your at it. From what I've read RCD injectors are questionable, go with Ryan at full force diesel or there is another quality company that I cant think of, someone else will know. Also and airdog, exhaust, and headstuds. There are others on here who will have a better idea than me but that should get you started.

Dang steve beat me lol, shouldnt have waited so long to write.

Last edited by Fox Hunt; 08-28-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Repeated info
Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM
MARSOC > Seals

transmission anyone

if you start to put big enough injectors and different turbo.. your gonna need to upgrade your transmission and that will eat up most of your 8k fun from your bike
Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM
The Silent Service

I would start with fully bullet-proofing the good old 6.0L, and investing in a quality monitor (Edge Insight CS/CTS cant be beat)

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

After that (determining weather to keep or delete the EGR cooler, and weather to put in that remote oil cooler from BPD) its gonna eat up most of that 8k you're figuring on having.

Long term plans, it depends on how much power you're looking at wanting to put down.
Here's a very basic layout of power bands and mods:

420RWHP - SCT tuner with custom files and a 4" turbo-back exhaust (literally its that easy)
475RWHP - Step up to 155cc Injectors, Powermax (stage I), and a regulated return (a aftermarket fuel system isn't required) If you tow heavy/often, this is as hot as you're going to want to run.
500+RWHP - Step up to 175cc Injectors, Powermax (Stage I), and aftermarket fuel pump with regulated return.
540RWHP - 190cc Injectors, Powermax (Stage I) and aftermarket fuel pump. This will tax your Powermax turbo and your transmission. A stage II turbo would be a better choice for this set up to get the most out of those injectors. For the transmission, you'll be wanting to get the funding put aside to build it up and install a new TC.

There are so many variables in performance past this point that its hard to lay anything concrete out here. I hope this helps, and look forward to reading about your updates.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't want to burst your bubble but you can't even get close to building the ultimate anything. $5k for a transmission, $7-$8k for a compound turbo setup. We haven't even addressed basic stability mods. Injectors $3600.

Perhaps you'd be better off doing all of the reliability mods, monitor, BPD oil cooler, etc. and then once things settle down with the new kid etc. consider stepping it up in stages.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM
MARSOC > Seals

someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

but I thought if your pushing 500rwhp that your transmission will give within time

like said before... this diesel game is not cheap Espcially if you wanna make them fast..
Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 PM
The Silent Service

Depends on how you drive the truck. If you're racing/pulling then yeah the transmission will require to be rebuilt.

What I've found is the 5R110 can handle the 175's and a Powermax pushing just over 500HP, and be reliable. Some folks will argue the validity of that, and rebuilding the transmission is one of those inevitable. But I'll stand behind 500HP as a rule of thumb on the transmission.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Yeah I would do the bullet proofing then once that is done start modding for power. But you don't need a tranny for a sct with a custom tune and exhaust. If he does all the preventative maintenance like studs, gaskets, oil cooler, egr delete, coolant flush, pay for machining of heads, then do all the update mods like ccv mod, zoodad mod, 6.4 banjo bolts, update fuel spring, stc fitting, coolant filter, oil bypass, all new fluids then a few performance things like sct tuner, gauges, and exhaust will get you pretty darn close to 8000 dollars and will be basically bulletproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.