Upcoming coolant flush to ELC - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
06lariat4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upcoming coolant flush to ELC

hey guys i am planning on swapping to ELC coolant from internation next week and i have a few questions. I am going to use Restore but am unsure about restore plus because i have heard that what it loosens up could clog the oil and egr cooler.. Another question i have is if i should remove the thermostat or not. Yes removing it will save time but i heard that the engine may not get up to operating temp just sitting there on high idle.

Truck is a 04 F350 crewcab long box dually. The headgaskets, egr cooler and oil cooler were replaced at 177000 km and i know have 221000 km on it.

Thanks so much guys!

Mitch


2004 F350 CC/LB Dually XLT
ARP Head Studs
BD Power EGR Delete
4 inch cat back, cat delete with FLO PRO muffler
PPE Xcelerator Programmer (currently not installed)
MSD Dashhawk Moniter
DIY Coolant filter with Fleetrite W2077 filter
Fleetrite ELC Coolant
6.4 Banjo Bolts
"blue" fuel regulator spring
06lariat4x4 is offline  
post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
mustangman02232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ludlow MA
Posts: 932
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
what is your EOT and ECT temp? i would just flush with distilled, unless the temps are out of wack and you need a new cooler


2009 F350 CCSB Lariat 5.4
fisher MM2, 20% tint, leveled

2003 mustang cobra vert
SLP LM1, CAI, diablow tuner

2004 F350 reg cab 4x4 6.0 (SOLD)
exhaust/tune/deleted, dieselsite coolant filter, CAT ELC, blue spring, fisher MM2,
13.9 @95 mph

2002 Mustang 3.8 auto vert boltons (SOLD)
90 F350 RCLB IDI (SOLD)
mustangman02232 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
06lariat4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
with the 30 plus degree celcius weather here in bc running arounnd town i am in the low 200s and my delta never gets over 8 degrees. when climbing some hills my coolant and oil can get to the low 220s but my delta never gets past 8 degrees difference. should i just use the restore to get the silica goo out?


2004 F350 CC/LB Dually XLT
ARP Head Studs
BD Power EGR Delete
4 inch cat back, cat delete with FLO PRO muffler
PPE Xcelerator Programmer (currently not installed)
MSD Dashhawk Moniter
DIY Coolant filter with Fleetrite W2077 filter
Fleetrite ELC Coolant
6.4 Banjo Bolts
"blue" fuel regulator spring
06lariat4x4 is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator


 
PGreenSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,991
Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06lariat4x4 View Post
hey guys i am planning on swapping to ELC coolant from internation next week and i have a few questions. I am going to use Restore but am unsure about restore plus because i have heard that what it loosens up could clog the oil and egr cooler.. Another question i have is if i should remove the thermostat or not. Yes removing it will save time but i heard that the engine may not get up to operating temp just sitting there on high idle.

Truck is a 04 F350 crewcab long box dually. The headgaskets, egr cooler and oil cooler were replaced at 177000 km and i know have 221000 km on it.

Thanks so much guys!

Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06lariat4x4 View Post
with the 30 plus degree celcius weather here in bc running arounnd town i am in the low 200s and my delta never gets over 8 degrees. when climbing some hills my coolant and oil can get to the low 220s but my delta never gets past 8 degrees difference. should i just use the restore to get the silica goo out?

Either one (silicate goo or rust/scale/etc) has a potential to clog your oil cooler. The purpose of doing these cleaners is to prepare your engine for the new coolant If it does clog the oil cooler it was going to happen sooner or later anyway. If you flush it really good more people have been successful than had problems.

If you take the thermostat out take some cardboard and block of the radiator to get your coolant temps up. There are a number of writeups for flushing your engine. Mine is in the 6.0 tech files section and Nylon also did a nice write up on another method.

In my opinion, do it right or just flush it and put fresh G-05 in it. When your oil cooler clogs then do the full flush and change over.
PGreenSVT is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
06lariat4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Either one (silicate goo or rust/scale/etc) has a potential to clog your oil cooler. The purpose of doing these cleaners is to prepare your engine for the new coolant If it does clog the oil cooler it was going to happen sooner or later anyway. If you flush it really good more people have been successful than had problems.

If you take the thermostat out take some cardboard and block of the radiator to get your coolant temps up. There are a number of writeups for flushing your engine. Mine is in the 6.0 tech files section and Nylon also did a nice write up on another method.

In my opinion, do it right or just flush it and put fresh G-05 in it. When your oil cooler clogs then do the full flush and change over.
so what your saying is if i want to switch to elc i should use both restore and restore plus?


2004 F350 CC/LB Dually XLT
ARP Head Studs
BD Power EGR Delete
4 inch cat back, cat delete with FLO PRO muffler
PPE Xcelerator Programmer (currently not installed)
MSD Dashhawk Moniter
DIY Coolant filter with Fleetrite W2077 filter
Fleetrite ELC Coolant
6.4 Banjo Bolts
"blue" fuel regulator spring
06lariat4x4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome