Upcoming coolant flush to ELC - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upcoming coolant flush to ELC

hey guys i am planning on swapping to ELC coolant from internation next week and i have a few questions. I am going to use Restore but am unsure about restore plus because i have heard that what it loosens up could clog the oil and egr cooler.. Another question i have is if i should remove the thermostat or not. Yes removing it will save time but i heard that the engine may not get up to operating temp just sitting there on high idle.

Truck is a 04 F350 crewcab long box dually. The headgaskets, egr cooler and oil cooler were replaced at 177000 km and i know have 221000 km on it.

Thanks so much guys!

Mitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
what is your EOT and ECT temp? i would just flush with distilled, unless the temps are out of wack and you need a new cooler
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 PM

with the 30 plus degree celcius weather here in bc running arounnd town i am in the low 200s and my delta never gets over 8 degrees. when climbing some hills my coolant and oil can get to the low 220s but my delta never gets past 8 degrees difference. should i just use the restore to get the silica goo out?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06lariat4x4 View Post
hey guys i am planning on swapping to ELC coolant from internation next week and i have a few questions. I am going to use Restore but am unsure about restore plus because i have heard that what it loosens up could clog the oil and egr cooler.. Another question i have is if i should remove the thermostat or not. Yes removing it will save time but i heard that the engine may not get up to operating temp just sitting there on high idle.

Truck is a 04 F350 crewcab long box dually. The headgaskets, egr cooler and oil cooler were replaced at 177000 km and i know have 221000 km on it.

Thanks so much guys!

Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06lariat4x4 View Post
with the 30 plus degree celcius weather here in bc running arounnd town i am in the low 200s and my delta never gets over 8 degrees. when climbing some hills my coolant and oil can get to the low 220s but my delta never gets past 8 degrees difference. should i just use the restore to get the silica goo out?

Either one (silicate goo or rust/scale/etc) has a potential to clog your oil cooler. The purpose of doing these cleaners is to prepare your engine for the new coolant If it does clog the oil cooler it was going to happen sooner or later anyway. If you flush it really good more people have been successful than had problems.

If you take the thermostat out take some cardboard and block of the radiator to get your coolant temps up. There are a number of writeups for flushing your engine. Mine is in the 6.0 tech files section and Nylon also did a nice write up on another method.

In my opinion, do it right or just flush it and put fresh G-05 in it. When your oil cooler clogs then do the full flush and change over.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Either one (silicate goo or rust/scale/etc) has a potential to clog your oil cooler. The purpose of doing these cleaners is to prepare your engine for the new coolant If it does clog the oil cooler it was going to happen sooner or later anyway. If you flush it really good more people have been successful than had problems.

If you take the thermostat out take some cardboard and block of the radiator to get your coolant temps up. There are a number of writeups for flushing your engine. Mine is in the 6.0 tech files section and Nylon also did a nice write up on another method.

In my opinion, do it right or just flush it and put fresh G-05 in it. When your oil cooler clogs then do the full flush and change over.
so what your saying is if i want to switch to elc i should use both restore and restore plus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.